NO

Author Topic: Top Programming languages 2023 Survey  (Read 2839 times)

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
Re: Top Programming languages 2023 Survey
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2023, 11:30:03 PM »
Over the years I have seen enough programming languages being described as "the next big thing" only to disappear after a few years. By now I'm old and skeptical enough to wait a while for things to clear up...
Me too.
At least ... old  :-\
 ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2023, 11:34:13 PM by frankie »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline WiiLF23

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2024, 09:16:47 PM »
If I hear about Rust one more time... I'll implode lol (jokes). But seriously.

Next will be Python competing with Rust, now that they are considering moving to this language in the Linux codebase (memory safety, etc)

I am blind to the first 2 in the list, I am fluent in the rest for many years now. PHP and C until the day I no longer touch a keyboard  8)

PHP has a lot of issues, but it has really become a solidified player since PHP 7 (I started using it since 5.6), and is much faster now. The async support is next to a laugh. I leave that up to PECL now for heavy multi-threaded tasks. Of course, this expects a thread-safe compilation. I hope it improves. I know they push out Fibres support, but I have not played with it because I don't feel like rewriting core classes to accommodate the new feature and experience breakage across the board. Very risky for critical cron tasks that should not be interrupted and get out of sync at a large scale. The PECL parallel extension works fine for me.

String/array manipulation is beyond easy and I am very pleased with the OpenSSL support (my app appreciates it too).

SQL is SQL. I can write it blind, but the focus is the RDMS and its engine performance long before advanced syntax. The rest falls into place quite easily, and is hand in hand with multiple languages.

I'll never touch Python or Java. But Java was my entry to ASM and other learning curvs in the early 2000s ironically. I never stayed with it, I peeled off to web technologies at the time and shaped my learning. Today its second nature.

Offline Vortex

• http://www.vortex.masmcode.com
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2024, 10:45:23 AM »
Hi WiiLF23,

But Java was my entry to ASM

Kindly, could you provide more details? Assembly and Java are totally different worlds.
Code it... That's all...

Offline WiiLF23

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2024, 08:32:37 PM »
Hi WiiLF23,

But Java was my entry to ASM

Kindly, could you provide more details? Assembly and Java are totally different worlds.

General logic, structure and how everything binds together - in any language. Just a learning curve. I learn by analyzing. They have no relation to each other, I agree. Also being young at the time, I was exploring everything in-between, including the operating system I was using at the time.