Pelles C forum > General discussion

Homework Policy...

(1/4) > >>

CommonTater:
In another thread, Johnf mentioned that at times we (I?) have been a bit rough on newbies. 

So a couple of questions...

What is the best way to respond to inquiries from newcomers in the various forums?

Is there a general philosophy we should follow for this BBS?

Should we treat posts in "Beginner questions" differently than in "Expert questions"?

I think a discussion of this could be very helpful...

Stefan Pendl:
Doing the homework for others is not something I would support.

I have always had the impression, that newbies get better results, if they are directed into the right direction to solve their problem.

I would do it in the following order:

* point out their errors and point them to a resource they can use to solve the problem
* make some small corrections to the code, so they see how to get it corrected, if they still fail to solve their problem with the resources provided
* as a last resort one could still post the entirely corrected code, but usually this shows that the OP is not interested in learning C

CommonTater:

--- Quote from: Stefan Pendl on July 28, 2012, 07:28:44 PM ---Doing the homework for others is not something I would support.

--- End quote ---

Absolutely.  The idea that a credible forum like this could be reduced to "homework answers" is galling.

This is why I asked for discussion on this...
Thinking maybe there's a better way...

CLR:
Yeah, doing the homework for others is not good. The Stefan suggestion is very good.

I remember at the beginning I could not understand C even with the correct solution at hand.

Vortex:
There should be a no homework rule in the forum.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version