C language > Work in progress

Undelete files

(1/2) > >>

JohnF:
I converted a C++ app that undeletes files on NTFS drives - made a few corrections and alterations to the original code. The original loaded the whole MFT into ram, this could be a problem when the MFT has become very large. Apparently one guy had an MFT record of 1 gig.

So now the app loads chunks sequentially from the MFT record until all the records have been read. This works fine on drives formatted either with the Windows formatter or with 'Partition Magic' but it does not work with drives formatted with 'Acronis Disk Director'. For some reason the data becomes corrupt after loading a few records.

Apparently one must read blocks in multiples of cluster size, which is what I'm doing, but this still does not work for drives formatted with 'Acronis'.

Does anyone know anything about this?

The original way of loading the whole MFT into ram works even with drives formatted with 'Acronis'.

John

Anonymous:
I am unfamiliar with Acronis but the following is a solution that 'will' work.  Have you tried creating a 'stored' carbon copy of the MFT on the harddrive and loading chunks into memory and manipulating it instead so that you are loading chunks from a static copy?  This is not a perfect solution but it is workable.

Paul

JohnF:

--- Quote from: "PBrennick" ---I am unfamiliar with Acronis but the following is a solution that 'will' work.  Have you tried creating a 'stored' carbon copy of the MFT on the harddrive and loading chunks into memory and manipulating it instead so that you are loading chunks from a static copy?  This is not a perfect solution but it is workable.

Paul
--- End quote ---

Thanks for that advice.

John

hani118:
The original way of loading the whole MFT into ram works even with drives formatted with 'Acronis'.

Bitbeisser:

--- Quote from: hani118 on January 13, 2015, 12:49:04 PM ---The original way of loading the whole MFT into ram works even with drives formatted with 'Acronis'.

--- End quote ---
ICU!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version