NO

Author Topic: Researching Your Own Work with Help of TextCrawler2  (Read 2555 times)

EdPellesC99

Researching Your Own Work with Help of TextCrawler2
« on: February 13, 2013, 04:19:45 PM »

Ever need to find an example of function or command that you have thoroughly understood in the past, are unclear now, and have no idea where the .c file , header file, or other filetype *is* .... that used that function or command..........?

Well I sure have. And it takes a lot of time, looking through folders to jog my memory of where it might be...

I have found a simple program that is a piece of nicely done freeware that can do much more than this, but really helps me with my memory issue.

TextCrawler2

http://www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/content/index.php

I will give you a simple Solved Problem to get you started:

In this example, I wanted to look at a folder with many subfolders of .cmd scripts:

I wanted to look at various examples of the command "for" with the /f switch that I had used.

Opened TextCrawler2:

Top of Screen, Input Folder tab:

File filter:
.cmd
Start Location:
D:\SGV1\Cmd_exe Gold 1 Dev

ck box:
scan subfolders "checked".
whole words "checked".

Standard tab, Find:
for /f
note you do not need to use Regex, but you can, and you must if you are doing find and replace operations.
Options
Preview pane:
Adjusted characters after found text to 100, and ckbox: WordWrap "unchecked".
Show Line Numbers

Now Click Find, it showed me 12 files in the "preview pane".
When I highlight any one of the found files, the line where the command is used is shown in the bottom pane.

One more big point you can add multiple directories to the Start Location.
Do not use quotes, separate by pipe, and no spaces between.

To be clear:

D:\Folder1|C:\Myoldfiles|F:\FirstFiles

trailing backslashes not needed, don't hurt.

=====================================

Enjoy, .......it is worth looking at, and proving to yourself you do not need it !

Ed