NO

Author Topic: Programming Windows - Charles Petzold  (Read 2677 times)

dev123

Programming Windows - Charles Petzold
« on: April 13, 2013, 02:06:23 AM »
I'm relearning C programming and decided that Pelles C is the best for me to use. I have been thinking of getting the book "Programming Windows 5th Edition, by Charles Petzold". It is listed to have been published in 1998. Looking over MSDN, it seems, that not much has changed with the basic structure of a Windows application, so I was wondering if this is still a great resource or not. I'm trying to estimate it's use for the next 10 years. Can someone comment on this? There is nothing in there about Win64, but I thought, making the adjustment would be as simple as using MSDN to supplement the book. The other books that I would use are "C Pocket Reference" and "C in a Nutshell". Are these three books a good choice together for serious use?

If you have another recommendation please post it. The goal of course is Windows application programming. I'm using Windows 7 Professional, but I intend for everything to be compatible with Windows 8 and future Windows. Much is changing in the Windows world, and I thought, maybe the old idea that C will never leave might be getting outdated. No need to argue that C will be around, except how does it affect Windows programming.

czerny

Re: Programming Windows - Charles Petzold
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 05:22:53 PM »
In my opinion is the Petzold a very good book to learn gui programming in the win32 api way. But it is a little bit onesided. The common controls are not covered. the modern apis for net, memory, file and security are not covered too.
For the win95 controls I would suggest 'Programming the windows 95 user interface' from Nancy Cluts. For the second topics 'Applications for Windows' from Jeffrey Richter.