NO

Author Topic: New installation setup  (Read 3441 times)

sal55

New installation setup
« on: January 15, 2014, 12:22:25 PM »
I've just installed version 7.0 64-bit for Windows 7 (into C:\PELLESC).

Compiling a Hello World program using:

C:\PELLESC\Bin> pocc hello.c

it says it can't find <stdio.h>

What do I need to do to make it find its own standard headers? I've used an older, 32-bit version in the past, installed in the same place, and that worked as expected. (I would expect it anyway to just check ..\include\stdio.h relative to the location of the pocc executable.)

Also: in the Wiki attached to the website, it gives installation instructions. But after the installation bit, it mentions First Start. But this is the first start of what: of pocc.exe? of poide.exe? Trying to run the latter gives me an error 22. However I only intend to use the command-line tools, so if I don't need that step it doesn't matter.

Finally, when pocc finally works, how can I quickly tell if the resulting EXE is an actual 64-bit executable?

Thanks.

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
Re: New installation setup
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 12:31:52 PM »
In PellesC installation folder\bin there are povars32.bat and povars64.bat for setting up enviroment for PellesC.
May the source be with you

sal55

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 01:21:21 PM »
OK, thanks, POCC now runs. But, now there's a problem in linking the result. (POCC used to also link I think, or that might have been CC, but anyway the linking still gives an error).

Typing:

POCC hello.c
POLINK hello.obj

gives errors such as:

POLINK: error: Unresolved external symbol '_RtlUnwind@16'.
POLINK: error: Unresolved external symbol '__imp__HeapCreate@12'.

but I don't call any of this stuff! Are there any special arguments needed or POLINK? This is in 64-bit mode.

Typing CC hello.c gives the same messages, but no .EXE. Typing POLINK hello.obj after gives no errors, but no .exe either! (And in 32-bit mode, POLINK/VERBOSE hello.obj shows a different set of messages, even 'creating executable hello.exe', but still no .exe output. Not anywhere in C:\PELLESC path anyway.)

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 01:47:21 PM »
pocc -Tamd64-coff hello.c
polink hello.obj
or
cc -Tamd64-coff hello.c
May the source be with you

sal55

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 01:58:52 PM »
Thanks, that worked. A bit fiddly to type but I will build it into my own .bat file and later my IDE.

The -Tamd64-asm option is interesting too; the output definitely looks like 64-bit code!

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 03:12:05 AM »
Thanks, that worked. A bit fiddly to type but I will build it into my own .bat file and later my IDE
Any particular reason why you don't use the IDE that makes out the better part of "Pelle's C"?  :-\

Ralf

sal55

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:23:13 AM »
Any particular reason why you don't use the IDE that makes out the better part of "Pelle's C"?  :-\
Ralf

I've always used my own tools, which are very simple, and also tailored to my kind of projects, which have special interdepencies. I tend to work also with my own languages as well as C (and even with C, I write C using my own syntax which my IDE translates to standard C which is then compiled, all done transparently).

Besides I've tried GUI IDEs in the past and found them impossible.

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2014, 02:12:34 AM »
Ralf

I've always used my own tools, which are very simple, and also tailored to my kind of projects, which have special interdepencies. I tend to work also with my own languages as well as C (and even with C, I write C using my own syntax which my IDE translates to standard C which is then compiled, all done transparently).

Besides I've tried GUI IDEs in the past and found them impossible.
A chacun son gout...  :-\

I got into using Pelle's C as it has one of the nicest and simplest to use IDEs.... ;D

Ralf