NO

Author Topic: Strange problem with the IDE  (Read 1725 times)

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
Re: Strange problem with the IDE
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2023, 04:48:02 AM »
Removing some Add-Ins could test too.
May the source be with you

Offline Robert

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2023, 10:08:37 AM »
I've just discovered that some of the settings for the project options in the IDE were set to UTF-16LE and this could be why the resource file used an invalid coding. I've changed these to UTF-8 and this seems to have helped with a new project.
This shouldn't cause a problem, moreover you said that it worked for the first compile.  ???
Maybe this is a bug...  :P

I just loaded the \Samples\Add-Ins\BuildVer project into Pelles C 12.00.2 on Windows 11, converted the buildver.rc file from UTF-8 with a BOM to UTF-16LE with a BOM and the IDE crashed on Build ReBuild or Clean.

Bug ? Yes. Pelles C or Windows 11 ? My guess is Windows 11 because frankie said no problem with Windows 10.

I have just finished loading a fresh install of Windows 10 on my old machine.

As above, I loaded the \Samples\Add-Ins\BuildVer project into Pelles C 12.00.2 on Windows 10, converted the buildver.rc file from UTF-8 with a BOM to UTF-16LE with a BOM and the IDE crashed on Build ReBuild or Clean.

frankie and I have had different results. He says O.K. I say not O.K.

What I have learned and intend to do is not use UTF-16LE with a BOM with Pelles C 12.00.2.

Tomorrow I am going to run the same tests with Pelles C 11.

Trust but verify !

« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 10:11:35 AM by Robert »

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2023, 03:00:36 PM »
Today I loaded the \Samples\Add-Ins\BuildVer project into Pelles C 12.00.2 on my office Windows 10 machine, and after I converted the buildver.rc file from UTF-8 with a BOM to UTF-16LE with a BOM the IDE crashed on Build ReBuild or Clean.
I don't have still clear why my home machine worked...  :(
I'll do more tests tonight.
For now I can confirm that at least on this machine PellesC IDE V12.02 fails when the rc file is encoded as 16BLE. :P

P.S. I can also confirm that with PellesC IDE V11 it works with no problems with both the encodings.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2023, 03:04:51 PM by frankie »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2023, 09:36:35 AM »
I have checked again with my home computers, WIN10 and PellesC 12.02, and it works...  :o :(
I have also reinstalled PellesC to be sure to have the last version running, but it works anyway.
I can't understand what are the differences between the machines...  ??? ???
Surely there is a relation between the IDE and some configuration.
This weekend I'll investigate more...

Found!  8)
The problem, at least in my case, is the addin "trimtail.dll", "Trim whitespaces at end of line".
Disabling it anything works!  8)

At this point I will re-ask to Pelle to remove the automatic enabling of all addins that could be very very very very dangerous.
Please everybody: Check the addins that are actually enabled and remove those unuseful.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 09:45:02 AM by frankie »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline Robert

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2023, 05:45:05 PM »
Fantastic frankie ! Thank you.

Also kudos to the super prescient TimoVJL for his tip.

Offline CProgrammer

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2023, 05:50:15 PM »
Thank you for all these replies.

Good to know that the issue was with an addin.

Offline John Z

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2023, 02:38:59 AM »
Great find Frankie!, excellent input by TimoVJL.  You two are tops!

John Z

P.S. The dll may just need to be recompiled under Version 12 to work fine.  I had to to this with one of my own, when version 11 came out.  No code change just recreate the dll.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 02:53:22 AM by John Z »

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2023, 01:55:49 PM »
The dll may just need to be recompiled under Version 12 to work fine.  I had to to this with one of my own, when version 11 came out.  No code change just recreate the dll.
Confirmed.

But I found the real problem at the end  >:(
The culprit in the original post is the "buildver.dll", "increment build number" addin. It generates the temporary files hanging up through the resource file scanning when it runs.
Can't fix it, need in-deep debug.  :P

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2023, 01:33:18 AM »
I fixed the buildver.dll8)
Can download it here.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2023, 05:42:39 PM by frankie »