NO

Author Topic: Version 8.00 (release candidate #1) is now available  (Read 7126 times)

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
Version 8.00 (release candidate #1) is now available
« on: April 05, 2014, 06:28:46 PM »
Pelles C version 8.00 (release candidate #1) is now available for download:
http://www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/download.htm

Major changes:
http://www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/changes_700_800.htm

/Pelle
/Pelle

Offline AlexN

• Global Moderator
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
Re: Version 8.00 (release candidate #1) is now available
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 11:14:07 PM »
Thank you! Pelle!

Great to see this.  :D
best regards
 Alex ;)

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 06:07:45 AM »
Thanks, downloaded and installed the 64bit version on my shiny new Windows 8.1 64bit laptop and it worked fine, with the exception that the install wipes out all the previous IDE settings (colors, tabs, etc...)

Beside that, I am not sure if leaving Windows XP out in the dark is a good move, I think you are going to seriously limit the size of your possible user base...

Ralf

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2014, 07:08:26 PM »
AlexN: Thanks!

Thanks, downloaded and installed the 64bit version on my shiny new Windows 8.1 64bit laptop and it worked fine, with the exception that the install wipes out all the previous IDE settings (colors, tabs, etc...)
Hmm.... AFAIK, it hasn't done this before. Maybe a Windows 8 thing, since I installed fresh in my Windows 8 test.

Beside that, I am not sure if leaving Windows XP out in the dark is a good move, I think you are going to seriously limit the size of your possible user base...
I posted elsewhere about Windows XP. Not sure what is best... MS seems determined to kill it off in about two days...
/Pelle

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2014, 09:06:15 PM »
Welcome back Pelle  :)
Good job and right time  ;)
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 05:07:29 AM »
AlexN: Thanks!

Hmm.... AFAIK, it hasn't done this before. Maybe a Windows 8 thing, since I installed fresh in my Windows 8 test.
Don't know about that issue being Windows 8 specific, but then it is quite a while since I did the last time an install of a newer version over an existing one, so I can't recall if it preserved those in the past...  :P
I posted elsewhere about Windows XP. Not sure what is best... MS seems determined to kill it off in about two days...
Windows XP doesn't get killed off, they just stop providing patches for it. All those millions of machines out there don't just stop working.

Ralf

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2014, 02:38:55 PM »
Windows XP doesn't get killed off, they just stop providing patches for it. All those millions of machines out there don't just stop working.
OK, maybe bad choice of words, but the fact is that a fairly old and likely less secure OS to begin with, without security patches etc., sounds like a bad idea to continue using (at least when connected to the Internet). I've heard about nag-screens, if it's true, and maybe there are other easter eggs... heh. Windows XP was nice, but time moves on.

Anyway, I will remove the block for Windows XP in the 32-bit Setup for RC2, but Windows XP will continue to be unsupported, untested, and any bug reports related to Windows XP will be totally ignored.
/Pelle

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 05:04:34 AM »
OK, maybe bad choice of words, but the fact is that a fairly old and likely less secure OS to begin with, without security patches etc., sounds like a bad idea to continue using (at least when connected to the Internet). I've heard about nag-screens, if it's true, and maybe there are other easter eggs... heh. Windows XP was nice, but time moves on.

Anyway, I will remove the block for Windows XP in the 32-bit Setup for RC2, but Windows XP will continue to be unsupported, untested, and any bug reports related to Windows XP will be totally ignored.
Well, I am not sure that it is such a wise decision, but that's your choice. I see XP still in a lot of places, for a lot of uses (I just saw the other day that the MTA ticket/TAP card vending machines (Metropolian Transit Authority of Los Angeles County) are running on Windows 2000!, when one of them crashed...  :'( )
If you do not use Internet Exploder (a good choice, with or without patches) and have a proper firewall in front of your machines (which is a good thing to do these days as well), all this security patch hype is for the **** anyway. More important and more of an (negative) impact has the fact that at the same time there are no more security updates for Office 2003 software products being released.
But Windows XP will be around for years to come, like it or not...

Ralf