NO

Author Topic: C source file tuncated to zero  (Read 3803 times)

liut

C source file tuncated to zero
« on: April 10, 2014, 05:03:51 AM »
Hi, recently I met twice for this issue. When I'm in the PellesC 7.0 IDE to edit a C source file and debugging it, it usually takes a few hours, and I always keep "save" the file after any changing. But sometimes my Windows was rebooted automatically and forcedly for some new patching installation. Afterwards I found the editing C source file was tuncated to zero. It did scared to me so much! I finally found the source file from the temp path with a random ext. name and recovered it.
So I think the IDE can be improved to "smarter" to prevent this in the next release. Thanks.

CommonTater

Re: C source file tuncated to zero
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 04:23:34 PM »
Hi, recently I met twice for this issue. When I'm in the PellesC 7.0 IDE to edit a C source file and debugging it, it usually takes a few hours, and I always keep "save" the file after any changing. But sometimes my Windows was rebooted automatically and forcedly for some new patching installation. Afterwards I found the editing C source file was tuncated to zero. It did scared to me so much! I finally found the source file from the temp path with a random ext. name and recovered it.
So I think the IDE can be improved to "smarter" to prevent this in the next release. Thanks.

So, turn off automatic updates and run them manually.

agp

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 11:20:05 PM »
... sometimes my Windows was rebooted automatically and forcedly for some new patching installation. ...

If you are running a windows 7, there will always be a warning that windows is going to reboot in about 10 minutes. So if it's not that you are just absent, you can turn off the automatic reboot or set the timer to about 4 hours. It should not be that windows just restarts while you are on your c coding.

;)

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 03:20:06 PM »
liut,
In Tools -> Options -> Source tab, is "Make backup file" checked? It is supposed to help in cases like this...
/Pelle

liut

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 06:03:01 AM »
Thanks for the advises. Actually the option "Make backup file" is on by default. Normally after the patch installed the system should not restart automatically. But my this PC is in a corporate domain and sometimes is forced to reboot by the backend agent, and sometimes my PC is easy to have "blue screen" and restart forcedly. Then that will cause the issue.