NO

Author Topic: IDE GUI issues  (Read 3757 times)

leandrojardim

IDE GUI issues
« on: June 12, 2014, 03:50:10 AM »
Hi, Pelle. :)

I love Pelle's C, its simply amazing the number of enhancements you have put on every new release, like adopting the new C standards, and so on!

I love Pelle's C  resource editor too, and its GUI designer, it even reminds me of VisualBasic some time ago.  But I dont understand why, sometimes it writes corrupt resource files to disk. It happens very frequently when changing IDs, but seems to be very random, they not happens always. Please check, if you can :)

The editor is wonderful, but there is one issue I have and that is very frequent. The first is that sometimes the editor corrupts the UNDO buffer memory after many uses of the undo and redo keys, and the text appears scrambled. Its random, unfortunately! Please check this one too, if possible. :)

With version 7 when the editor crash I lost changes to my source code many times, both the backup and the original file. But since 8.0 it not had any crash, so I could not reproduce it anymore. Thanks, my hero! :D

The [debugger] is very intuitive, one more point for you :). But since version 7 or earlier I dont remind very well, the toolbar gets totally disabled when I click on any IDE bottom tabs and the only way to enable it again, is to click on any  tabs of the text editor. Oh, really annoying. :) If you can, please check this too, thanks. :)

[EDIT: In the last paragraph I changed the word "editor" to "debugger", because it was wrong.]
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 07:15:11 AM by leandrojardim »

leandrojardim

Re: IDE GUI issues
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 07:42:46 AM »
Another thing, seems that the IDE cant put breakpoints on some codes between blocks, like for example, "while" loops and "switch" clauses. This issue is getting stronger at every release. And the code formatter sometimes breaks block separators wrong, seems that it formats the text randomly for each block.

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 08:46:31 AM »
Another thing, seems that the IDE cant put breakpoints on some codes between blocks, like for example, "while" loops and "switch" clauses. This issue is getting stronger at every release.
This can be a side effect of optimizations. You have the same problem on code with optimizations off?
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

leandrojardim

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 08:47:03 AM »
Yes, I did disable all optimizations, and code inlining, too (only for testing). I did enable debugging with COFF and CodeView.

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 02:15:58 PM »
Have you already tried without any optimization and without any debugging?
---
Stefan

Proud member of the UltraDefrag Development Team

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 06:25:24 PM »
Have you already tried without any optimization and without any debugging?
Stefan he *is in* a debug session.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

leandrojardim

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 12:55:25 PM »
Yes, I set the breakpoints for a debug session, and when I click the debug icon, the breakpoints are deactivated and Pelle's C says the region not has machine code associated.

This is an interesting issue, and happens most when I set breakpoints over source code inside a "case" clause on a "switch" block, for this issue have effect the "case" clause need to have more than one exit, that is "break" statements inside it and on an "if" block, for example.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 02:45:26 AM by leandrojardim »

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 11:37:55 AM »
I love Pelle's C  resource editor too, and its GUI designer, it even reminds me of VisualBasic some time ago.  But I dont understand why, sometimes it writes corrupt resource files to disk. It happens very frequently when changing IDs, but seems to be very random, they not happens always. Please check, if you can :)
Way too much code to go through hunting for a potential bug. It could be your machine too, you know.
You will have to make it reproducible before I can do anything...

The editor is wonderful, but there is one issue I have and that is very frequent. The first is that sometimes the editor corrupts the UNDO buffer memory after many uses of the undo and redo keys, and the text appears scrambled. Its random, unfortunately! Please check this one too, if possible. :)
Same here, really.

The [debugger] is very intuitive, one more point for you :). But since version 7 or earlier I dont remind very well, the toolbar gets totally disabled when I click on any IDE bottom tabs and the only way to enable it again, is to click on any  tabs of the text editor. Oh, really annoying. :) If you can, please check this too, thanks. :)
This is by design. The input focus can change, since a number of versions. This solves more problems than it causes.
/Pelle