NO

Author Topic: Lost source file  (Read 10644 times)

megafiddle

Lost source file
« on: July 22, 2014, 11:22:22 PM »
Greetings, I just joined up here.

I was working on a project file with Pelles C 6.00.4. I closed the IDE when I was done.
When I restarted the IDE later, the .c source file appeared empty. The file was still on
the drive, however, with a size of about 5K, which is about the size it should be.

I looked at the file with debug, and it appears to be filled with zeros (00).

Is there something I did (or did not do that I should have) that might have caused this?
Or is it a bug?

Excellent program, nonetheless!

-

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
Re: Lost source file
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 03:58:16 PM »
Welcome,
The PellesC 6.00.4 is a very old version.
Please download the latest version 8.00.19-RC5.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

megafiddle

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:09:00 AM »
Ok, thanks. I am using XP on this computer, so I am going to try 7.00.

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 10:39:47 AM »
you're welcome,
New release 8.00 can be installed on XP.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

liut

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 03:24:02 AM »
Hello, I met the similar issues on v7.0 when I was editing a C file but the computer shutdown or restart automatically. The solution is to look for the temp file on your 'temp' (or tmp) folder, usually you can find it out with a 'random' ext. name. Hope it's useful to you.

megafiddle

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 11:42:54 PM »
I can't seem to find a temp or tmp folder or file created by Pelles C.
Where should I look?

Also I tried installing 8.00 and got this message

''Pelles C 32-bit Edition supports Windows Vista/7/8 (X86 family).

Note! Windows XP is not officially supported nor tested, but probably works in general (except OpenMP).''

-

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 12:57:24 AM »

Also I tried installing 8.00 and got this message

''Pelles C 32-bit Edition supports Windows Vista/7/8 (X86 family).

Note! Windows XP is not officially supported nor tested, but probably works in general (except OpenMP).''

-
And the problem with installing it is?...  :-\

Ralf

megafiddle

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 02:25:35 AM »
I'm running XP. So I decided not to install it because of this:

"...Windows XP is not officially supported nor tested..."

Didn't want to add any potential new problems.

-

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 03:16:04 AM »
I'm running XP. So I decided not to install it because of this:

"...Windows XP is not officially supported nor tested..."

Didn't want to add any potential new problems.

-
Pelle unfortunately decided to follow the common bad habit of considering XP dead just because of all the hype around M$ stopping support for it.

And the above doesn't say that it won't run on XP...

Ralf

megafiddle

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 12:28:45 AM »
Thanks for the info. If that's the only concern, then I will try 8.00.

Any idea though, why a source file might turn to all zeros?

-

Offline jj2007

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 08:47:54 AM »
I remember a recent post by Pelle saying XP is supported, but it seems he removed it, maybe to avoid raising unrealistic hopes.

Re all zeros: strange indeed. Looks like the file was opened but not written and closed properly. The golden rule in this case is: keep two USB sticks with your recent important sources, in a place distant from your PC (thieves like USB sticks, too); use stick A on Mo We Fr and stick B on all other days. This is to prevent that you "save" the all zeros file, and having no good copy left...

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 08:53:32 AM »
V8.00 can be installed and works on XP.
Pelle will not give anymore support for specific problems or bugs related to XP only, he will continue to support and fix problems and bugs for all others systems (from VISTA on).
In future (maybe on V9.00?) he will completely remove support and it will be no more possible install the compiler on XP machines.

megafiddle

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2014, 09:16:48 AM »
I remember a recent post by Pelle saying XP is supported, but it seems he removed it, maybe to avoid raising unrealistic hopes.

Re all zeros: strange indeed. Looks like the file was opened but not written and closed properly. The golden rule in this case is: keep two USB sticks with your recent important sources, in a place distant from your PC (thieves like USB sticks, too); use stick A on Mo We Fr and stick B on all other days. This is to prevent that you "save" the all zeros file, and having no good copy left...

I used to use two alternating backups when I was writing software for a previous employer. 3.5" discs used to work very well.
I don't trust or use them at all any more. Other drives have been very reliable up till now. I lost a USB stick, but that may have
been an anomoly. My USB WD drives, backups on CD and DVD, have had no problems. But I think I will go back to alternating
backups.

V8.00 can be installed and works on XP.
Pelle will not give anymore support for specific problems or bugs related to XP only, he will continue to support and fix problems and bugs for all others systems (from VISTA on).
In future (maybe on V9.00?) he will completely remove support and it will be no more possible install the compiler on XP machines.

That is quite reasonable. I will be moving to Windows7 sometime in the near future.

-
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 09:18:32 AM by megafiddle »

megafiddle

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 07:49:38 AM »
I believe I have found something related to the loss of the files.

I have been using an external USB drive for backup. On a couple occasions, I left the drive connected during startup and restart. I just lost a source file again, and noticed the external drive was left connect during a restart. It was right after the restart that the file was empty. I copied an old source text into the current c text file and restarted with the WD drive connected; and once again, the file became empty.

Apparently, my PC doesn't like starting or restarting with a USB hard drive connected. I can't say that the external drive itself is the problem, only that it's related somehow.

-

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 08:58:59 AM »
Try to check again disabling the AntiVirus...