NO

Author Topic: Backup feature bug  (Read 4416 times)

leandrojardim

Backup feature bug
« on: October 07, 2014, 04:45:36 AM »
My computer lost AC power temporarily while I was using Pelle's C, and when I ran Pelles C again, all my project files was filled with zeros and Pelle's C did not asked if I wanted to use the files from backup. At least not automatically... Luckly I discovered acidentally a way to "force" Pelle's C to recover the files manually. I needed to "delete" the bogus files (*.c, *.h) without Pelles C in memory and run it again. :)

Pelle, my suggestion is that the "backup" directory be central and totally specificed by the user; while Pelle's C does not need to prompt to recover the source files always, it should at least allow the user to navigate through the "backed-up" files.

Another one, is that I dont know why Pelle's C always lose the project files when energy shortage, or lost of AC power happens, or when the IDE crashes, but there are many ways to acomplish this bug, and this "bad karma" should be totally erradicated from Pelle's C. I dont know why it happens; it can be either a Windows bug or the API used by Pelle's C to open the source file, anyway this is a very severe bug and this would be nice to be changed.

I love Pelle's C and I think that everyone should use it. I see it is a very big project for one alone person to hack it, and you need certainly to love it very much. :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 10:19:59 AM by leandrojardim »

neo313

Re: Backup feature bug
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 11:08:37 AM »
I don't see any problems; let me show you why.

My computer lost AC power temporarily while I was using Pelle's C, and when I ran Pelles C again, all my project files was filled with zeros and Pelle's C did not asked if I wanted to use the files from backup. At least not automatically... Luckly I discovered acidentally a way to "force" Pelle's C to recover the files manually. I needed to "delete" the bogus files (*.c, *.h) without Pelles C in memory and run it again

Although IDE crashed on me many times( much less lately ), and never during a power loss, I was always prompted with a backup option, which had the very latest version of the file( not the one when I manually saved ), which means absolutely nothing was lost. Now if you lost your power it is possible that the update of the current file was interrupted, but a full backup was there, as you said. That is simply amazing given the circumstances.

Pelle, my suggestion is that the "backup" directory be central and totally specificed by the user; while Pelle's C does not need to prompt to recover the source files always, it should at least allow the user to navigate through the "backed-up" files.

Backup is located here on Windows 7:

C:\Users\<Username>\AppData\Local\Temp

Another one, is that I dont know why Pelle's C always lose the project files when energy shortage, or lost of AC power happens, or when the IDE crashes, but there are many ways to acomplish this bug, and this "bad karma" should be totally erradicated from Pelle's C. I dont know why it happens; it can be either a Windows bug or the API used by Pelle's C to open the source file, anyway this is a very severe bug and this would be nice to be changed.

As you said, the files weren't lost. Don't forget to check the make backup file in the options.

I love Pelle's C and I think that everyone should use it. I see it is a very big project for one alone person to hack it, and you need certainly to love it very much.

I you experience frequent power loses, wouldn't making a simple script that makes a backup of your files every x minutes and/or when modified, be more reasonable?

@admin This is perhaps better for suggestions sub-forum.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 06:05:20 PM by neo313 »

leandrojardim

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 09:55:33 PM »
You dont want that I do any bug reports about the backup feature, and are totally negligencing my bug report and the issues I had previously with Pelle's C, even when I say how I admire Pelle's C and Pelle work.

Sure, everyone need to have rights to enter in a forum conversation and add information that could help the threads, but in the way you have done, looks you are trying to REMOVE my bug report, in front to the eyes of other users. You are trolling!

neo313, thanks for your point of view about my bug report and about what I need to do to make "it work", but certainly you and I are two very different persons, with distinct life, and to contrary to what you thinks, I know what I meant to say with my bug report and the right thing to do in these occasions, and I dont need another person doing assumptions about my life and what to do!  >:(

Please moderators, dont ban me out, I got furious with this guy, and I felt him needed a good answer.

Offline jj2007

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 01:34:52 AM »
Leandro, Neo,

Cool down, no need to argue here, it is a serious issue flagged e.g. here. And I am sure, if it's reproducible then Pelle is already working on it.

A good test case ("load source file xxx, then kill POIDE in task manager") would be nice.

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 07:23:18 PM »
Yes Leandro, the problem is well known due to the filemapping used in editing.
In case of power failure the files are lost and even the system has no memory of the failure and for this reason don't ask for file recovery.
Maybe Pelle will fix it in a next release (using some registry key or any permanent/disk record to detect the failure).

Please calm and courtesy, and maybe even think several times before posting.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide