NO

Author Topic: Global folder settings do not effect in compiler@linker execution parapms.  (Read 7089 times)

dizergin

that behavior is seen  in  current version (7.0) and RC6

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
that behavior is seen  in  current version (7.0) and RC6
Current version is 8.0 RC6.
Please update to it.
No support is planned for old releases...
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

dizergin

i  am aware but meant that current release ( 7.0 ) and RC6 ( 8 ) -both are effected by the bug (it is going to leak into the next release unless it will be fixed)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 12:29:41 PM by dizergin »

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
i  am aware but meant that current release ( 7.0 ) and RC6 ( 8 ) -both are effected by the bug (it is going to leak into the next release unless it will be fixed)
I see.
Well the currente release should be intended as V8.0, because we are still on prerelease some fixing are still on the go, but the former releases will not be touched.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
Can you tell us bit more what kind of bug that is ?

May the source be with you

dizergin

Can you tell us bit more what kind of bug that is ?
Ok. In the IDE one can set GLOBAL(=default for ALL new projects)  browsing folders for the Linker(Libraries) and The Compiler(Includes) in Tools\Options\Folders tab - but the settings have no effect on the Linker&Compiler, so one must set it in "Project options..." for EVERY project. It's quite inconvinient if you got a bunch of the projects relayed on the common technology ( MPI, OPENGL ... etc)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 02:18:41 PM by dizergin »

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
Ok,
you have to push Project -> Project options... -> Folders -> Defaults in every project ?

So it isn't a bug, more likely feature request for that.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:36:06 PM by TimoVJL »

dizergin

Ok,
you have to push Folders -> Defaults in every project ?

So it isn't a bug, more likely feature request for that.
One can push "Defaults"  for 3 the drop-down combo choices (Executables, Libraries, Includes) - but it takes ANY visible effect only  Executables...
on the other hand   - the Linker and the Compiler both are External tools - as it is posed  by Pelles - so it is quite natural to awaite uniform behavior from the menu "tools" settings. Yet it's  up to you to decide whether it is the Bug or just the Feature, but in the each case we got the inconsistance in the interface and no possibility to set up important parameters globally.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 03:40:20 PM by dizergin »

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
Well the behaviour isn't so clear, and to be honest I have never took care of it so didn't noticed the working.
It sould simply add what you put in default folders to any new project, not to all projects you open. And this is consistent because if in a project you removed some folders it would be uncorrect that the IDE added them again each time you open it.
I.e. when you freshly create a project the IDE insert the folders for include files and libraries, then, if you have any, appends folders from default settings. No modifications are applied to the project on any opening of existent projects.
So I don't think this is a bug at all.

dizergin

Well the behaviour isn't so clear, and to be honest I have never took care of it so didn't noticed the working.
It sould simply add what you put in default folders to any new project, not to all projects you open. And this is consistent because if in a project you removed some folders it would be uncorrect that the IDE added them again each time you open it.
I.e. when you freshly create a project the IDE insert the folders for include files and libraries, then, if you have any, appends folders from default settings. No modifications are applied to the project on any opening of existent projects.
So I don't think this is a bug at all.
i catch up your viewpoint and  do not surprised at all. It comes from your personal practice... Let us consider the situation. You  are novice in some technology (MPI for the instance).. good and most relayble way to master it (at whole) through many exisices (small ones). With usage of the IDE (at its  current state) you  front  before  the necessity of setting  up folders and lib files for every project. So I (as senior lecturer)  check that feature (that is not important in your practice)  before long. For It is up for me to recommend the IDE as main instrument for my students or do not ... and I bear all responsibility for the choice.
 But , nevertheless,there is someone at the forum who says :WHAT ARE 2 other choices of folders combo ( Includes, Library) FOR?
If one looks at the embedded reference  one sees:
"....What you change here are the global settings for the environment variables PATH, LIB, and INCLUDE. Changes here will affect the entire IDE: project build commands, tool commands, and so on. Projects will use the global settings by default, but can have local settings for the LIB and INCLUDE variables; see Project options, Folder tab...."        -   declared  functionality  that i talk you about.. But It  does not do what it is proposed to... If it is not the bug... let us over with the discussion.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:07:46 PM by dizergin »

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
Re: Global folder settings do not effect in compiler@linker execution parapms.
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 09:39:10 AM »
ide use global settings LIB and INCLUDE for
- new/default project ?
- tools ?

ide use local settings LIB and INCLUDE for
- project pocc, linker, poasm, ... ?

as documented ?
IDE: Project folder options dialog
What you change here are the project-local settings for the environment variables LIB and INCLUDE. Default is to use the global folder settings; see Options, Folder tab.
IDE: Folder options dialog
What you change here are the global settings for the environment variables PATH, LIB, and INCLUDE. Changes here will affect the entire IDE: project build commands, tool commands, and so on. Projects will use the global settings by default, but can have local settings for the LIB and INCLUDE variables; see Project options, Folder tab.

dizergin

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 01:42:30 PM »
ide use global settings LIB and INCLUDE for
- new/default project ?
- tools ?

ide use local settings LIB and INCLUDE for
- project pocc, linker, poasm, ... ?

as documented ?
IDE: Project folder options dialog
What you change here are the project-local settings for the environment variables LIB and INCLUDE. Default is to use the global folder settings; see Options, Folder tab.
IDE: Folder options dialog
What you change here are the global settings for the environment variables PATH, LIB, and INCLUDE. Changes here will affect the entire IDE: project build commands, tool commands, and so on. Projects will use the global settings by default, but can have local settings for the LIB and INCLUDE variables; see Project options, Folder tab.
Probably my english is not good enough, sorry.  :(
But, of course, I told about menu  "Tools" (to be more precise -  "Tools\Options\Folders" panel) and referred to the inline manual topic for it (it captioned "IDE: Folder options dialog" and evoked by pressing '?' button then clicking at any free space on panel area). 

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 03:45:46 PM »
If it is not the bug... let us over with the discussion.
I got your point and it is correct from the point of view that you exposed.
But I think that more than a software bug it is an help file bug ...  ;)
Let me explain as I would expect it works:
Any project have definitions for libraries folders, includes folders and tools folders. These values are assigned to the environment variables PATH, LIB and INCLUDE that are passed to the processes created to run compiler tools (pocc, polink, etc.).
When you create a project from scratch its folders are initialized to the 'default' values set in option tab. From then on you can still change the assignement of a specific project, but in its local storage that is the project options.
Maybe this is not what the help description seems to explain...  :(

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 04:33:20 PM »
There is one problem with Project options and Folders.
If you clear those INCLUDE and LIB fields, those are copied from global ones and Macros INCLUDE and LIB macros stay empty :(

Those fields should stay as user wants as Default-button is there for filling those.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:02:46 PM by TimoVJL »

dizergin

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 08:52:43 AM »
If it is not the bug... let us over with the discussion.
I got your point and it is correct from the point of view that you exposed.
But I think that more than a software bug it is an help file bug ...  ;)
Let me explain as I would expect it works:
Any project have definitions for libraries folders, includes folders and tools folders. These values are assigned to the environment variables PATH, LIB and INCLUDE that are passed to the processes created to run compiler tools (pocc, polink, etc.).
When you create a project from scratch its folders are initialized to the 'default' values set in option tab. From then on you can still change the assignement of a specific project, but in its local storage that is the project options.
Maybe this is not what the help description seems to explain...  :(
That functionality is  not unique to Pelles  IDE. EVERY industrial quality IDE  have it (and many of "homemade" IDE got it). In each case we have roughly the same picture -GLOBAL (predefined or common) settings clone to the NEW-MADE project settings (at the point of the new project creation) Then THE project settings can be modified at wish individually (with no effect to global ones). And the Pelles Help just declares that behavior formally.  So I can not see ANY reason why the Pelles IDE  must be different from the others at the point. And if you refuse the  feature in the normal existance and workflow (for whatever reasons)- it is much more honest just to reap out the feature wholly  and do not mess with any demagogy  or speculations.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:48:47 AM by dizergin »