NO

Author Topic: $5K for the fastest code  (Read 5350 times)

CLR

$5K for the fastest code
« on: January 11, 2015, 02:44:05 PM »
Programming Challenge
http://churchillnavigation.com/challenge/

Discussion
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2s0rv3/5k_for_the_fastest_code_2d_ranked_point_search/

url: https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2s0rv3/5k_for_the_fastest_code_2d_ranked_point_search/cnl63u4

I have a feeling that most of us will have trouble competing with those who know assembly.

It turns out that in these kinds of problems the algorithm is much more important than simply using fast instructions.

Offline jj2007

Re: $5K for the fastest code
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 03:12:56 PM »
Interesting. Bad luck that it's 64-bit code - not my cup of tea. Any idea what "most important points" are?

It turns out that in these kinds of problems the algorithm is much more important than simply using fast instructions.
Wow, with such an intelligent approach, AndrasBalogh will surely win the challenge!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 03:15:31 PM by jj2007 »

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 03:28:27 PM »
I just had a fast read in the discussion forum, they say that the 'the precomputation time is not relevant' this means that you can take your time to rearrange the data and build a search tree to speed-up. This enforces the point that the algorithm is the point. Speeding-up the search execution with faster executing code optimizing it is not the key.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

dizergin

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 06:27:43 PM »
Interesting. Bad luck that it's 64-bit code - not my cup of tea. Any idea what "most important points" are?
=most ranking (with maximum rank value) i do believe.

dizergin

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 06:35:58 PM »
I just had a fast read in the discussion forum, they say that the 'the precomputation time is not relevant' this means that you can take your time to rearrange the data and build a search tree to speed-up. This enforces the point that the algorithm is the point. Speeding-up the search execution with faster executing code optimizing it is not the key.
yes, in somewhat... you must provide good sorting  method O(n) variation over each filtered (=hitted into the given rectangle) point.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 06:41:42 PM by dizergin »

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 06:55:27 PM »
Good way to check if their employees are good enaugh and eventually get a chip solution.
5000$ are not very much money considering the education level necessary to manage algorithm math.  ;D
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

dizergin

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 07:07:07 PM »
I think - it is fair deal/ 5000$ - is just about 1 month salary, yet  the problem is pretty simply for 2 years studied university student.