C language > Graphics programming

Nuklear immediate mode GUI - C and small

<< < (2/3) > >>

Scripter:

--- Quote from: frankie on July 30, 2016, 07:27:15 PM ---Said that, the code is clearly wrote using C++ habits in many other aspects.

--- End quote ---

Translated from C++, I'm guessing.

frankie:
Maybe, but some comments make me think that is not a translation, but just a trial to write Ansi-C from a C++ background...
See the following piece of code:

--- Code: ---struct nk_context
{
/* public: can be accessed freely */
    struct nk_input input;
    struct nk_style style;
    struct nk_buffer memory;
    struct nk_clipboard clip;
    nk_flags last_widget_state;
    enum nk_button_behavior button_behavior;
    float delta_time_seconds;

/* private:
    should only be accessed if you
    know what you are doing */
#ifdef NK_INCLUDE_VERTEX_BUFFER_OUTPUT
    struct nk_draw_list draw_list;
#endif
#ifdef NK_INCLUDE_COMMAND_USERDATA
    nk_handle userdata;
#endif
    /* text editor objects are quite big because of an internal
     * undo/redo stack. Therefore does not make sense to have one for
     * each window for temporary use cases, so I only provide *one* instance
     * for all windows. This works because the content is cleared anyway */
    struct nk_text_edit text_edit;
    /* draw buffer used for overlay drawing operation like cursor */
    struct nk_command_buffer overlay;

/* windows */
    int build;
    int use_pool;
    struct nk_pool pool;
    struct nk_window *begin;
    struct nk_window *end;
    struct nk_window *active;
    struct nk_window *current;
    struct nk_page_element *freelist;
    unsigned int count;
    unsigned int seq;
};

--- End code ---

Eggy:
Scripter, frankie,

Thanks so much.

Scripter: I agree with you on the 'quick and dirty' and 'high-level' remarks. It is one of the reasons I was so happy to find Pelles. I deinstalled MSVS 2015 out of frustration with all of the tools and interfaces it provides. I come from learning programming in 1978 on a Commodore PET computer with a tape cassette drive and small monitor all-in-one unit.

I did Windows programming years ago, and then left to do mainly linux dev. The alternatives to Win 32 are not that good, but I want to continue to develop my crappy, but fun, cross-platform games, and Win 32 works on Windows only.
I am hoping to use something other than FLTK, or a pure OpenGL solution, but for immediate-mode GUIs I have only found imGui (formerly Dear imGui) and Nuklear.

frankie: Thank you so much for taking the time to work up a sample. It will help me to evaluate it, and to take in your criticisms of it.

I'll let you know where I get with this. I'm in East Java, Indonesia this year, so at +7 GMT, it's time to go to bed! Thanks again!

Rob

Scripter:

--- Quote from: Eggy on July 30, 2016, 09:51:05 PM ---Scripter: I agree with you on the 'quick and dirty' and 'high-level' remarks. It is one of the reasons I was so happy to find Pelles. I deinstalled MSVS 2015 out of frustration with all of the tools and interfaces it provides. I come from learning programming in 1978 on a Commodore PET computer with a tape cassette drive and small monitor all-in-one unit.

--- End quote ---

Me too ... wrote my first program on an old pdp11 using a ksr33 and punch tape. Got away from it for a while, rejoined the game just when the 8088 machines were coming out, been working in either Pascal or C ever since.

--- Quote ---I did Windows programming years ago, and then left to do mainly linux dev. The alternatives to Win 32 are not that good, but I want to continue to develop my crappy, but fun, cross-platform games, and Win 32 works on Windows only.
I am hoping to use something other than FLTK, or a pure OpenGL solution, but for immediate-mode GUIs I have only found imGui (formerly Dear imGui) and Nuklear.

--- End quote ---

If you are doing cross-platform stuff:

1) My condolences  ;)

2) You can safely ignore my comments. I've always been a "down to the gold" type who likes to talk intimately with my machines.  Of course that's not going to work with cross-platform code...

Good luck on your endevours.

Eggy:
Scripter,

Good to hear we come from the same dynasty!

Your comments and opinions are valued to me, since I am operating in a vacuum here right now. I too would stay with just one platform or the other, but I run Linux and Windows for work and pleasure, so I am in that world ;)

Also, for game jams, you up your exposure by providing it on many platforms, which is why HTML5 games are so popular there, and Love2D, a Lua-based game framework that runs on everything. There are 3D engines like Godot too, but like you, I want to program close to the machine with the caveat of using a GUI library, since there is no penalty in rendering. I do think the higher-level libs are too much abstraction, and I agree they make it harder than just dropping down and coding it natively. But for sound, graphics, i/o, it is hard to beat SDL2. It is not too far from the ground or gold as you say.

You have inspired me to do a little test. I will create a minimal game with a window, sound and logic:

1. Windows target w/ Pelles C, and the Win32 API for GUI (Wn32 native sound API?? for game dev? Or, do I need something like S?)

2. Linux target w/ GCC, and I should try to use X11 to make it a fair comparison, although I may use Gnome.

If I still have questions and time, I will try and do the same tests above using SDL2 or CSFML for both tests and compare again.

Thanks!

Rob

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version