NO

Author Topic: Loosing files (once in a great while)  (Read 2527 times)

Offline daniel_bingamon

Loosing files (once in a great while)
« on: April 13, 2018, 02:37:12 PM »
I use the Pelles compiler for the software that operates our Airflow machines.
I'm on this compiler for several hours everyday and have been using it for years and once in a great while I'll loose ability to save a source code file when some obscure message pops up and refuses to save just one file.
I know I'm being vague about this, I'd like to show you the actual error message but I don't have it at the moment.  Also, this only reoccurs after a few months.

If the file is plain text, I can use the copy/paste buffer and save it via notepad to get around the problem when it occurs.  Then re-add it to the project when Pelles-C is restarted.  This is my general workaround.
If the file is a resource file and I'm in the Resource Editor (which is where it occurs more often), I can sometimes save the file as a different filename and get around it.
Also when this occurs, I transfer the resource.h file to copy/paste on notepad as well, sometimes I'll loose the entire resource file and have to go to a backup.
These are annoying but doesn't happen very often, I backup often anyway.   Next time I will try to get the message that accompanies the problem.

I still like this compiler more than any other.

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
Re: Loosing files (once in a great while)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 03:25:49 PM »
Daniel,
thanks for the report. This kind of problem is generally more related to OS than to the IDE, anyway it is necessary to have the very error message you get.
In the meanwhile let us know your  OS (win10 I suppose) and be sure to have applied all updated from MS.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline daniel_bingamon

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 03:11:42 PM »
Frankie, actually I'm still using Windows 7.  This unit is 32-bit.
I've not had it happen on my computer at home which is win 7 64-bit but my frequency of use is a lot less at home.

If it shows I will get the information -- but also I'm hoping that it doesn't happen.

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 05:30:15 PM »
but also I'm hoping that it doesn't happen.
Me too Daniel :D
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide