NO

Author Topic: RC file text edits  (Read 2279 times)

Offline tony74

RC file text edits
« on: November 17, 2019, 07:24:54 PM »
I generally do my graphics in PS, then define my bitmaps in the RC file by editing it's text.

Now, lately I notice that getting the edited RC file to 'keep' my edited entries is
something of a hit-or-miss process, usually requiring a lot of trial and error and
many clickings of  'No'  to  '...Do you want to reload it', which more often than not
still results in the bitmaps not being added under the BITMAP portion of the RC tree.

Is there a particular 'trick' to getting direct edits to the RC file to 'stick'?

I'm using version 9 and don't recall having this much of a problem with editing
the RC file (and getting it to accept the indicated resources) in the past.

And, yes, I'm editing the text inside the IDE, not in an external text editor.
The IDE appears to be reloading the previous RC file, any way to stop reloading?

Thanks for any help.

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
Re: RC file text edits
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 10:11:57 AM »
Unfortunately PellesC IDE rewrite the 'RC' files automatically in the process of visual RC editing.
So to avoid any eventual change you must avoid to open the resource in the visual editor, and always answer 'NO' to save it.
I'm not sure if making the RC file read-only can give some help.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline tony74

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 06:54:28 PM »
Thanks, Frankie.  I'll deal with it.  However if that's the case, it would be convenient to provide a flag to disable auto-reload.

It needn't require any UI refactoring, just a startup flag something like this:

"C:\Program Files\PellesC\Bin\poide.exe --disablereload"

Just a Thought, thanks again.

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 11:11:30 AM »
From menu Tools->options->project you can disable "save files without confirmation", maybe this could be of some help.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide