NO

Author Topic: Create a new workspace  (Read 3057 times)

Garvan

Create a new workspace
« on: October 15, 2005, 02:58:14 PM »
Hi:

I did not understand the project options in V4 on first try, and I wonder if they will confuse others. I ‘Access Violation’ed on first try.

Please consider making the default “Create a new workspace” rather than “Add to existing workspace” when you use the new project option.

////////////////////////
Steps to ‘Access Violation’

Open existing project, or default last edited project, in my case a modified “reversi” PPC project.

File->new->Project->Win32 Console Program (EXE)
Edit location to directory ‘test’
Edit Name to ‘test1’
The location changes back automatically (slightly annoyed) so I change it back to ‘D:\PellesC\projects\test\test1’
Don’t notice the “Create a new workspace” option
OK->YES
Select reverse.EXE in Project List
Right click, select delete, and then ‘Access Violation’

When exactly the ‘Access Violation’ happens depends on what files are displaying.

Have fun

Garvan

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
Re: Create a new workspace
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 07:33:38 PM »
Quote from: "Garvan"
Please consider making the default “Create a new workspace” rather than “Add to existing workspace” when you use the new project option.

"Add to existing workspace" will be selected only when a project is already open and "New project" is selected. This makes most sense to me.

The "Access violation" case is impossible to reproduce. Can you see the "exception address" or something else I can work from?

Pelle
/Pelle

Garvan

Create a new workspace
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2005, 01:41:57 PM »
Hi Pelle:

After 20 minutes of experimentation I understand how difficult this problem is to reproduce. Can it have something to do with the fact that the project loaded was created with a previous version of PellecC? Anyway, by following my instructions as posted with the same project I get:

Code: [Select]
Module 'POIDE.EXE' caused an 'Access violation' exception at address 0x00446F24.

I will continue to experiment to see if I can understand the circumstances in which the error happens. It would seem that in certain circumstances your testing for the existence of a directory before reading from it is failing?

And I agree with your logic about the defaults on when to create a new project. I guess I would never even have commented if I had not triggered the 'Access violation'.

Thanks

Garvan

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
Create a new workspace
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2005, 04:58:16 PM »
Hello,

Can it have something to do with the fact that the project loaded was created with a previous version of PellecC?

Maybe/probably - but it must be under certain conditions. I have tried projects from several older version in v4.0, and it's working too good.

Code: [Select]
Module 'POIDE.EXE' caused an 'Access violation' exception at address 0x00446F24.

I will continue to experiment to see if I can understand the circumstances in which the error happens. It would seem that in certain circumstances your testing for the existence of a directory before reading from it is failing?

Thanks - I know where too look now. It has something to do with path names, and converting a relative path to an absolute path. I will try and understand why...

Pelle
/Pelle