NO

Author Topic: Vexed for Windows  (Read 4902 times)

Offline John Z

Vexed for Windows
« on: December 03, 2020, 01:39:25 PM »
If you'd like a bit of nostalgia and are old enough to remember the PalmPilot, or curious enough, I've created a windows version of a classic PalmPilot game called Vexed using Pelles C.  It is a game based on logic and thinking ahead to solve block puzzles.  One of my favorite and only game, other than Sudoku that I play.  You can check it out at: https://sourceforge.net/projects/vexed-for-windows/
A COVID-19 stress relief project... (-:

John Z

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
Re: Vexed for Windows
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 07:05:02 PM »
Hello John, I tried many times, but the download give only "503 Service Unavailable". Eventually could be a good idea to move to GitHub...  ::)
I love Sudoku, practically te only game I play actually!  ;D
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline jack

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 12:00:13 AM »

Offline John Z

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2020, 11:08:48 AM »
Thanks Jack - appreciate the assist!

Hello John, I tried many times, but the download give only "503 Service Unavailable". Eventually could be a good idea to move to GitHub...  ::)
I love Sudoku, practically the only game I play actually!  ;D

Sorry for the problems Frankie, weird.  The zip is small enough to attach to a post here but I didn't think it would be within the intent of the forum. Hopefully the problem will be fixed (seems to be now) and stay that way.

You are probably right about switching to GitHub, but it is owned by Micro$oft now, I hear grumblings. I had code on Googlecode before it went bye-bye too.  Still, maybe time to look again.  :)

Thank you both,
John

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 12:12:59 PM »
Thanks Jack - appreciate the assist!

Sorry for the problems Frankie, weird.  The zip is small enough to attach to a post here but I didn't think it would be within the intent of the forum.
Absolutely welcomed.
See the User contributions thread: "User contributed code - with or without source".
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline John Z

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2020, 06:25:18 PM »
Hi Frankie,

Here is the best version of Sudoku I've found.  It is available on android as well as iOS.
name is ) sudoku +, image attached

I also think the one from portableapps.com is fairly good for running on windows.
https://portableapps.com/apps/games/sudoku_portable

Enjoy -  ;D

John

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2020, 11:59:26 PM »
Hi Frankie,

Here is the best version of Sudoku I've found.  It is available on android as well as iOS.
name is ) sudoku +, image attached

I also think the one from portableapps.com is fairly good for running on windows.
https://portableapps.com/apps/games/sudoku_portable

Enjoy -  ;D

John
Thanks
I'll give a try  :D

Grincheux

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2020, 06:57:35 PM »
I have tested and Won but I don't understand anything even efter reading the help file!

Offline John Z

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2020, 09:30:51 PM »
  :o :( :-\

The object is to remove all the blocks of course.  In the beginning it is very easy.  A block can only be removed by another similar block touching each other.  If starting out hard is the preference try loading the "Panic Pack".  The goal is also to remove the blocks in the fewest number of moves.  Each puzzle has a 'PAR' value, golf term, which is the number of strokes to complete the hole but in this case to complete the puzzle.  'PAR' is not necessarily the minimum.

Maybe I just did a poor job on the help file  :(

Here are the original puzzle instructions.
http://vexed.sourceforge.net/page2/instructions.html

John Z

Grincheux

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2020, 04:39:06 PM »
Thank You

Offline John Z

Re: Vexed for Windows packaged as a PortableApp
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2021, 02:13:34 PM »
Try the PortableApps packaging of Vexed for Windows at this link.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vexed-for-windows/files/PortablePgm/WinVexedPortable_0.7.5.3_Dev_Test_1.paf.exe/download

if problems download try the direct link by clicking "Problems Downloading" button.

Same program, even though labeled "Dev_Test", which was already 'portable' but now with the PortableApps installer rather than just a zip file.

John Z