NO

Author Topic: Unable to use Pelles C on Windows with non-standard username  (Read 1717 times)

Offline soullessmate

Unable to use Pelles C on Windows with non-standard username
« on: February 01, 2021, 02:50:54 PM »
Hi,
I've installed Pelles C however it can't compile my file because my Windows username is $. The file is not found.
Does $ have a special meaning in the Pelles C IDE?

Offline iwrbc

Re: Unable to use Pelles C on Windows with non-standard username
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 09:00:42 PM »
Hi, a few questions: which error message do you get? At which moment? How do you know the problem is in your username?
That makes it easier to help.

Offline soullessmate

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 04:15:48 PM »
After trying to Execute main.exe
In that in the Project tab:

Building main.obj.
fatal error #1061: Can't open input file 'C:\Users\Documents\Pelles C Projects\Hello World\main.c'.
*** Error code: 1 ***
Done.

Where it should be C:\Users\$\Documents\...

Offline bitcoin

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 05:28:24 PM »
Copy to the root dir and test (C:\code or C:\PellesC )

Offline John Z

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2021, 11:40:29 AM »
Hi,
I've installed Pelles C however it can't compile my file because my Windows username is $. The file is not found.
Does $ have a special meaning in the Pelles C IDE?

Well it is not that it is a username but it is because of the directory named $.  Running PellesC v10 in Windows 10 64bit, with a known good program under "Program Files/PellesC/Files/$/Hello_PopUp/"  'appears to compile and produce an output, however no object file or exe is produced.  Change the dir named $ to A so the path is now  "Program Files/PellesC/Files/A/Hello_PopUp/" and everything works fine.

I don't know if it PellesC or windows command processor.  PellesC does show the full correct path when hovering over the executable name in the source files pane.  If the project has already been built (like when I used the A path) then changing to $ the project is not rebuilt, but the prior exe will run when using Pelles execute.  So at least parts of PellesC are not bothered by the $.  Pelles Clean works too.... Pelles Compile appears to work but no object file is created.  Same for Build. 

Personally, I keep as much as possible out of c:\Users\......

John Z