General > Chit-Chat

Spammers....

(1/3) > >>

CommonTater:
Is there no way to keep the spammers out of here?

It's getting just a bit ridiculous.

David L Morris:
I would say the process of member registration and validation could be improved before any posts by the new member are allowed? 

Bitbeisser:

--- Quote from: David L Morris on December 10, 2011, 06:22:39 AM ---I would say the process of member registration and validation could be improved before any posts by the new member are allowed?

--- End quote ---
There are actual people signing up and posting their crap, it's nothing you can stop with anything beyond a basic deterrence for bots. I know this out of my own practical experience of being for years now an admin for a somewhat high volume forum (community.smoothwall.org) myself.

What might be needed are a a few more vigil (but not vigilante) moderators that can remove those crap posts as well have the means to remove/suspend offending accounts as well as blocking signup/posting from offending IPs. If this is done quickly in each case, "they" quickly loose interest.

This is where the current setup and procedures in this forum are lacking. "modemjane" for example is still a legitimate user in this forum, signed up since 2011-11-11 (at least that what the member list shows) and is still free to spam at any time, nothing that any stricter signup procedure could possibly prevent. And stricter validation before posting will certainly deter possibly newbies that come in here to post their latest homework issues, which we do have quite frequently and I am not sure that we should kick them out...

Ralf

CommonTater:

--- Quote from: Bitbeisser on December 10, 2011, 07:44:33 PM ---And stricter validation before posting will certainly deter possibly newbies that come in here to post their latest homework issues, which we do have quite frequently and I am not sure that we should kick them out...

--- End quote ---

Hi Ralf!

I'm highly active on a much higher volume forum than this one which has extra precautions in it's signup and settings changes processes.  Believe me, it doesn't stop the kiddies from asking us to do their homework for them :D   Most of them are so used to bot-stoppers they don't even give it a thought.

W4GNS:
Well, I certainly hope more can be done to slow/stop the spamming. It's not entirely out of control on this forum, but none is better than some, as far as spam is concerned.  :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version