NO

Author Topic: default uppercase in IDE  (Read 7017 times)

elias001

default uppercase in IDE
« on: January 27, 2014, 07:33:14 PM »
Hello everyone.

I just got back into using Pelles C.  I have a minor problem with the IDE setting.  When i start to write code in the IDE environment, everything is default uppercase.  In the old version, it was default lower case.  I tried enable cap locks, or type using shift key, but i can't get the program to switched to lowercase.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you in advance.

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
Re: default uppercase in IDE
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:26:36 PM »
Hello everyone.

I just got back into using Pelles C.  I have a minor problem with the IDE setting.  When i start to write code in the IDE environment, everything is default uppercase.  In the old version, it was default lower case.  I tried enable cap locks, or type using shift key, but i can't get the program to switched to lowercase.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you in advance.
considering that C is a case-sensitive language, I doubt that this is anything even remotely associated with Pelle's C, rather something with your system/setup...
The only thing that could possibly do that is the "Convert to Uppercase" function, but that is something that needs to be deliberately activated/executed....

Ralf

elias001

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 09:23:42 PM »
Raif

How do i switched to lowercase by default.  I know of the function you speak of, but when i typed anything, the default should be lowercase.  Basically, how do i deliberately turn on/off the uppercase/lowercase function and set it as default.

thanks
Seth

Offline jj2007

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 09:55:44 PM »
Hi Seth,

That is really weird, but you are the only one with that problem.
- Have you tried Tools/Options/Source/Font?
- Does it persist if you exit and relaunch the IDE?
- Does notepad show the same behaviour?
- Do you have any add-ins installed (Tools/Options/Ad-ins)?

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 11:19:45 PM »
If lower case doesn't work in notepad too, you need to get your keyboard fixed.

You could try booting into safe mode and see if it works there, which would show that it has something to do with an installed background process.

You can boot into regular mode and run msconfig to disable anything but Windows services.

Afterwards check if things still work in PellesC.

Enable service after service in msconfig to check which one is causing the trouble.
---
Stefan

Proud member of the UltraDefrag Development Team

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 12:25:05 AM »
Raif

How do i switched to lowercase by default.   I know of the function you speak of, but when i typed anything, the default should be lowercase.  Basically, how do i deliberately turn on/off the uppercase/lowercase function and set it as default.
There is no such "default". Or it is always the default, depending on how you look at it. There is nothing to switch. I checked through the whole Pelle's C IDE before posting my last message and that function I mentioned is the only thing that even remotely comes close to being related to your issue. And then it should only apply to any selected text, not to any source per se.

As mentioned, this has to be something within your specific machine/setup.

It simply would not make any sense to program in C in all uppercase, as I said, C is case-sensitive, all default libraries/headers are written in lowercase, this would be more hassle than there would be any use for such an option to exist...

Ralf

elias001

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 03:02:48 AM »
Everyone, I solved the problem.  Thank you.  It had to do with one of the add ins. 

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 03:07:12 AM »
Everyone, I solved the problem.  Thank you.  It had to do with one of the add ins.
Well, it would really help everyone if you could elaborate a bit more as what was causing this. Thanks!

Ralf

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 08:46:20 AM »
So it was an Add-In ucase.dll 'Convert all typed source editor chars to upper case'
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 09:49:23 AM by timovjl »
May the source be with you

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2014, 01:14:15 AM »
So it was an Add-In ucase.dll 'Convert all typed source editor chars to upper case'
Whisky-Tango-Foxtrott!?!?!?!?
Why would anyone use something like this in a an editor for a case-sensitive programming language that is predominantly written in lower case?  :-[

Offline jj2007

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 09:41:41 PM »

Offline jj2007

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 09:55:48 PM »
Wow, I thought that was evident: "perhaps using the UCase add-in sample as a start"

If Pelle himself promotes it, then the OP might have "tested" it involuntarily...

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2014, 11:49:53 AM »
From PellesC Addin's help:
UCase sample ("Convert all typed source editor chars to upper case")

This add-in demonstrates how to subclass all IDE source code windows - and in this case, converting typed characters to upper case. Not useful by itself, but the subclassing part might be...

Just a sample to show advanced IDE extension.
After all a knife is used to cut the meal, if you would use it differently....
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide