NO

Author Topic: Suggestions, Many Suggestions  (Read 6189 times)

Offline CandCPlusPlus

Re: Suggestsion, Many Suggestions
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2022, 06:25:18 PM »
While I don't agree that using a toolbar button instead of the pop-up menu is easier, I do believe in "Each to their own the old lady said as she kissed the cow" so to respond to your request and to demonstrate the easy way this can be done I've created an Add-in to do it.
You can get it here:
https://forum.pellesc.de/index.php?topic=10582.0

It was a nice change after doing all that documentation work....but didn't take long  :)

That's cool. The context menu can be easier or the toolbar buttons can be easier, depending on what I'm doing. I'm so used to seeing the comment and uncomment buttons in Visual Studio that it's jarring for it to be absent from the toolbar.

I really should learn about how to make add-ins and read the documentation. Pelles C appears to be quite extendable with the add-ins. I'll look at the source code. :)

You just need to add a Version resource.  Open the resource file right click in a open area and select  New then Version, it is all there.
There is also an add-in that would update automatically if you don't want to update yourself.  Called Increment-Build-Number I believe.

I learned about a feature in Pelles C today. I do use the resource editor and I didn't even think to explore what that version resource is.

It took me almost a month to reply to this. lol
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 02:19:22 AM by CandCPlusPlus »

Offline John Z

Re: Suggestsion, Many Suggestions
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2022, 11:23:29 AM »
It took me almost a month to reply to this. lol

No worries - happy to help.

Some never return....

John Z

Offline CandCPlusPlus

Re: Suggestions, Many Suggestions
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2022, 10:00:33 PM »
I attached an example of Autocomplete and the "function call hints" that are offered by Code::Blocks. I previously suggested this and I do noticed the lack of it all when using Pelles C. The "function call hints" reappear as soon as you return to typing the function call again in Code::Blocks. In Pelles C, they disappear and it's tricky to get it back.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 10:04:24 PM by CandCPlusPlus »

Offline CandCPlusPlus

« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2022, 05:04:53 AM »
I thought of a smaller suggestion, compiler warnings for assignments in if statements. Basically, warn of a single equal sign (assignment operator) exists by itself anywhere inside of an if statement. I experimented and Pelles C offers no warning for this.

The warnings that exist in for this Code::Blocks have saved me a bunch of troubleshooting at least once. lol

Offline John Z

« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2022, 01:30:20 PM »
I thought of a smaller suggestion, compiler warnings for assignments in if statements. Basically, warn of a single equal sign (assignment operator) exists by itself anywhere inside of an if statement. I experimented and Pelles C offers no warning for this.

The warnings that exist in for this Code::Blocks have saved me a bunch of troubleshooting at least once. lol

Pelles Does support this warning.  Try turning on Level II compiler warnings.

Example:  if (a=5) {....;} generates this -
C:\Program Files\PellesC\Files\CopyMode\CopyMode.c(47): warning #2030: '=' used in a conditional expression.

John Z

Offline John Z

« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2022, 02:39:47 PM »
5. Pelles C defaulting to settings that allow debugging out of the box. I have to adjust the compiler settings to use debugging whenever I install Pelles C anywhere. Not a huge problem but it would be nice for it work out of the box. Though, there could be a reason that it's setup this way that I'm not aware of.

Edit: Whenever I create a new project I need to go to the "Compiler" page to change "Debug information" to "Full" and I need to go to the "Linker" page to change "Debug information" to "Pelles C format". This is all in the project settings. Otherwise, I will get a message about the lack of debug information.

This is just not true.  The current version of Pelles C out of the box has two modes "Release" and "Debug" just pick the desired mode from the drop down at the top of the project IDE window. 

John Z

Offline CandCPlusPlus

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2022, 07:24:46 PM »

Pelles Does support this warning.  Try turning on Level II compiler warnings.

Example:  if (a=5) {....;} generates this -
C:\Program Files\PellesC\Files\CopyMode\CopyMode.c(47): warning #2030: '=' used in a conditional expression.

John Z

It does work. I crossed that off on the list and thanks for pointing that out. :)

This is just not true.  The current version of Pelles C out of the box has two modes "Release" and "Debug" just pick the desired mode from the drop down at the top of the project IDE window. 

You're correct. It does work in the newest versions. I crossed that out.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 08:58:40 PM by CandCPlusPlus »

Offline CandCPlusPlus

« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2022, 07:37:42 PM »
I'll cross off the suggestion for the uncomment and comment toolbar buttons since it's already in the add-ins section.

I'll cross off the suggestions for the Microsoft documentation considering the messy state the documentation is in and the huge challenge in creating offline content from the open source Microsoft documentation.

A possible way around this would be for a tool integrating old Microsoft Help Viewer and document explorer help content into Pelles C (in offline searchable and linkable form). I believe I've seen one on this site somewhere.

Pelles C even gives warnings for out of bounds stack allocated arrays when the warning level 2 is set. There are no warnings for heap allocated arrays and memory though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 01:40:45 AM by CandCPlusPlus »

Offline CandCPlusPlus

« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2022, 12:30:24 AM »
This forum is rather quiet and Pelles C isn't well known. Perhaps putting Pelles C on the Microsoft Store would help? I'd still keep the download links at "http://www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/" because I personally am not keen about the Microsoft Store.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 01:24:51 AM by CandCPlusPlus »