NO

Author Topic: ListView Progressbar  (Read 1697 times)

Offline WiiLF23

Re: ListView Progressbar
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2023, 07:33:43 AM »
If anyone wants to play with another way, which in my project this paints directly and allows a lot more to customize.

Taken from:
https://www.codeproject.com/Articles/646482/Custom-Controls-in-Win-API-Control-Customization

Offline John Z

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2023, 10:52:26 AM »
Good work, nice visual.

John Z

P.S. When you come back to this code in 10 years having at least a few comments might be appreciated  :)
just a suggestion ......  ;)

Offline John Z

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2023, 01:45:08 PM »
Hi WiiLF23,

You did such a good job with your ListView ProgressBar I could not help myself but to tweak it a bit - sorry...

It was ready to be UNICODE with all the work that you did so I 'finished' it with minor changes to be UNICODE when:
#define UNICODE
#define _UNICODE
are included.

Without the two defines then it is in the original ANSI :)

Also add a bit of flexibility to color the 4 defined states text easier without changing the base routine.

Could also be interesting to color the progress bar the same as the text (but I've not done that  ;))

John Z

« Last Edit: November 30, 2023, 11:54:12 AM by John Z »

Offline WiiLF23

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2023, 06:40:22 AM »
You would be shocked what I have done with Pelles C. I cant thank this compiler/IDE enough! I completely removed the entire Visual Studio stack just days ago, this is a dedicated C dev machine now. WinAPI and we are clear sailing! Boy am I glad I put a torch to the .NET installations, never again.

Just so some of you see what can be done with attached progress code (I'm using the same code).

@John Z

"Without the two defines then it is in the original ANSI" - that makes complete sense! While im dealing a fair bit of narrow/wide conversion between server DLL and the application itself. That is very helpful, thank you.

"Could also be interesting to color the progress bar the same as the text" - I was at this for about 15 minutes going through different color ranges for visual appeal (I've been building complete websites for 21 years) so its easy for me and I get very anal on even a pixel out in my presentation. It came down to

100: RGB(255, 255, 255)
<100: RGB(36, 36, 36)

It was a tough call as I would prefer white progress text the entire time, but it just doesnt look good (I'm on a 2003 19" widescreen TFT). High resolution pictures of the app on the iPad looks amazing (deep pixel density), so I just go off of that after a day of UI updates so I know it looks good.

Realistically, I have plans to draw within the progressbar and inherit the design pattern of Windows8+ file copy dialog. I wish the GDI control on that was open source, but the drawing procedures are likely buried deep in the operating system, if not entirely unavailable. I see it on Task Manager too, so its clearly in the operating system.

So that within the progress (measuring speeds within) would be a heck of an accomplishment. If I can pull it off, I'll put it on here and you guys can review the code.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 06:53:54 AM by WiiLF23 »

Offline Vortex

• http://www.vortex.masmcode.com
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2023, 10:51:23 AM »
Hi WiiLF23,

I completely removed the entire Visual Studio stack just days ago.

You did well. The VS IDE is a monster consuming a lot of resources.
Code it... That's all...

Offline John Z

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2023, 03:20:32 PM »
Hi WiiLF23,

Looks nice, good aesthetics,

It was a tough call as I would prefer white progress text the entire time, ....
  Yup, I find a white font color really limits the background color range. Personally I prefer a dark grey background (128,128,128) when using a white font.

John Z