NO

Author Topic: Download older versions, Pelles C v12 instant freeze upon Compile  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Yansi

Hello,
new to WinAPI, new to Pelles C. I was recommended this nice tiny footprint IDE, to try developing some simple applications using WinAPI. However, I am having trouble with the latest version V12.

Whenever I create a project, that uses resources, it seems it causes an instant freeze of the program directly when hitting Compile, Build or any action related to that. Simple resource-less project can be compiled fine.

I have confirmed the issue on 2 completely unrelated Win10 machines, one running 22H1, the other one 22H2, both x64. 

Has anyone met similar issue before? What can I do to help investigate the issue further?

Is there any possibility to download and try older version, than latest v12? I could locate an ancient v7, which seems has its own set of problems I have already encountered in the resource manager.

Thank you for any help.

Offline John Z

Re: Download older versions, Pelles C v12 instant freeze upon Compile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 01:04:50 AM »
Hi Yansi,

Easy way to get some help is to post the ZIP of the project so folks can see/duplicate the exact same conditions.  To do this use Project-Zip Files from the menu the post as an attachment. Pelles has run well on Windows version 10 and I'm also running on Win 11 23H2 without any issue and heavy .rc usage.

I think you can get older versions by changing the version number in this link:
www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/1200/setup.exe 

I just found out you can download previous versions here:
9.0: http://www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/900/setup.exe
10.0: http://www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/1000/setup.exe
11.0: http://www.smorgasbordet.com/pellesc/1100/setup.exe

John Z

Also - if you click on the .rc file within Pelles C and it only opens as text and not as a GUI it usually means there is an error in the .rc file.  When the .rc is valid you can  open as text but you must right click to select Text or Binary.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 08:51:43 AM by John Z »

Offline Yansi

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2024, 10:45:15 AM »
To replicate the problem, just create a new Pelles Win32 project, and add any kind of resource, hit compile -> instant freeze. It seems not to be tied to a project in any specific way.

Start new Project, Win32 App
Add new source file, main.c
Enter the basic WinAPI stuff code as attached below into the main.c file
You can now compile and build as much and as many times as you want.
Add new resource file
Add for example new Dialog in it
Rename the Dialog as DLG_MAIN to create resource.h file (Here is likely first bug, as the name cannot be changed within the property inspector, must be changed in resource.rc file view?)
Save the resource.rc and resource.h files
Hit rebuild  ... and it is dead. Frozen, does not respond.

And if it happens to not freeze, it will freeze at the second attempt to compile or build.

Offline Vortex

• http://www.vortex.masmcode.com
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2024, 10:46:00 AM »
Hi Yansi,

Welcome to the forum. Could it be the case of an interfering software like an antivirus or Windows Defender?
Code it... That's all...

Offline jj2007

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2024, 10:57:40 AM »
Hi Yansi,

Welcome to the forum. I tested your main.c with my version 10, no problems. You did not provide the resource file, though.

Offline Yansi

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2024, 11:27:53 AM »
I told you exactly how to replicate the problem. It behaves the same on both my personal Win10 22H2 computer and work computer with Win10 21H2, which definitely has potential to have installed multiple interfering software packages, beginning from different group policy settings, up to corporate other monitoring and antivirus software. My personal computer is almost fresh install of Win10, so I seriously doubt it is a problem of other software interfering.

Content of the RC file is below, I see absolutely no issue there. It even compiles fine in an ancient version of Pelles C.

Code: [Select]
// RESOURCE SCRIPT generated by "Pelles C for Windows, version 12.00".

#include <windows.h>
#include <commctrl.h>
#include <richedit.h>
#include "resource.h"

LANGUAGE LANG_ENGLISH,SUBLANG_ENGLISH_US

DLG_MAIN DIALOGEX DISCARDABLE 6, 18, 210, 142
STYLE DS_SHELLFONT|WS_POPUP|DS_MODALFRAME|DS_CONTEXTHELP|DS_3DLOOK|WS_CAPTION|WS_SYSMENU|WS_VISIBLE
CAPTION "Dialog"
FONT 8, "Tahoma", 0, 0, 1
{
  CONTROL "OK", IDOK, "Button", WS_TABSTOP, 160, 5, 45, 15
  CONTROL "Cancel", IDCANCEL, "Button", WS_TABSTOP, 160, 23, 45, 15
}

In the resource.h file, there is just the one expected #define:
Code: [Select]
#define DLG_MAIN  1001
I can only think of Pelles IDE could have possible trouble with the Windows OS being localized for different, than US/English. (Meaning, for example we do not use decimal point but comma instead, etc).

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2024, 11:57:42 AM »
Open the IDE, from menu select Tools->customize.
Select the Addins tab, disable all.
Close and reopen the IDE and try to compile, if the problem is disappeared your problem is one of addins. Probably "BuildVer". See.. In that case replace BuildVer with the fixed version.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline Yansi

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2024, 01:31:12 PM »
Hello frankie,

thank you for the tip. I have tried disabling all add-ins. Compilation/build then works fine.
BuildVer - I have guessed that may be the "increment build version" add-in ? ? ? and re-enabled all except this one. Compilation/build still seems working.

I will look into the threads you have linked.
Thank you,
Y.

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2024, 04:09:24 PM »
BuildVer - I have guessed that may be the "increment build version" add-in ? ? ?
Y.
Yes it is.
Use the fixed version here.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Yansi2

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2024, 12:46:19 PM »
Oh how I was wrong about Pelles. Almost was thinking about sending a donation for a lunch or two for such a nice small footprint light IDE, but somebody decided to give me a permanent ban on this forum, probably because I dared to ask and point to a bug? No warning, no nothing, just get the fuck out.

Okay, so I will do. And will find a different project to support.
Bye.

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2024, 02:55:18 PM »
Oh how I was wrong about Pelles. Almost was thinking about sending a donation for a lunch or two for such a nice small footprint light IDE, but somebody decided to give me a permanent ban on this forum, probably because I dared to ask and point to a bug? No warning, no nothing, just get the fuck out.

Okay, so I will do. And will find a different project to support.
Bye.
It's always sad to hear of someone leaving the community, it's even more sorrow if someone leaves in this way with such harsh words... :-\
I don't know what happened, but I can say for myself and all the people on this forum that no one would ever ban someone just for fun.
And reporting a bug is not and will never be a valid reason to be banned, we are mainly here to test and report bugs. It is senseless to even imagine such a reason.
When you asked for help, many people came to help you, why would anyone ban you? Why didn't you inform us about what happened instead?
More likely there was a technical problem, or a problem with the IPs assigned to "T-Mobile Czech Republic a.s.", perhaps involved in spam or other attacks.
If you want to rejoin the community you will be welcome, otherwise we wish you all the best and to have fun with the new projects you'll follow.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 09:23:40 PM by frankie »

Offline jj2007

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2024, 03:08:56 PM »
Excuse my curiosity, but if "somebody decided to give me a permanent ban on this forum", then how did you post your rant? Were you banned, yes or no?

(Of course, Frankie is 100% right...)

Offline MrBcx

• Global Moderator
    • Bcx Basic to C/C++ Translator
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2024, 03:36:36 PM »
I checked the banned logs. 

The "Yansi" user account was banned today along with over 100 others. 

On any given day, 100 or more attempted users accounts are banned automatically
using the blocker rules configured by Christian (the Pelles forum administrator).

Moderators, like myself, can also ban users on a selective basis but "Yansi" was
caught up in an automated banning process today.  Moderators cannot un-ban anyone,
nor do we have access to the rules that govern the automated banning process.

That's all I know at this time.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 03:43:05 PM by MrBcx »
Bcx Basic to C/C++ Translator
https://www.BcxBasicCoders.com

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2024, 07:13:38 PM »
Yansi should be reenabled now.
I removed the ban, or I hope I was able to...  ???

Offline MrBcx

• Global Moderator
    • Bcx Basic to C/C++ Translator
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2024, 08:46:54 PM »
Yansi should be reenabled now.
I removed the ban, or I hope I was able to...  ???

Good job Frankie.  Looks like Yansi and his posts are back. 

Either I missed how to un-ban a user or you have more privileges than I have.
Bcx Basic to C/C++ Translator
https://www.BcxBasicCoders.com