NO

Author Topic: GPS Moving Map for PPC  (Read 6395 times)

Steven

GPS Moving Map for PPC
« on: February 10, 2007, 10:43:04 PM »
This application is a moving map GPS display system for a Win_CE Pocket PC 2003. It uses a scanned or a raster-based map with NMEA GPS data to show current position. The positions can be captured into a log for later analysis. The GPS is accessed over the PPC serial port, and the GPS can be external or built-in.

The application, called 'hybrid_ppc' v0.5, can be found on: http://www.stwh.freeserve.co.uk/hybrid_ppc/index.htm .

This is a part release of the final version which will use two maps in a hybrid format, where typically a satellite map or photo map is overlayed with a topographical map such as a street map. This effect can be seen on map sites like multimap.co.uk on 'Aerial Photo' view, or maps.google.com under their 'Hybrid' view.

This version may be of use for anyone looking for a simple GPS application. However, before I move onto the final form, I am particularly looking for comments and suggestions on:
- the moving-map operation of the system
- any accuracy issues
- the method of calibration
- any potential code problems

Thanks,

Steven

Claudy

Re: GPS Moving Map for PPC
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 09:19:11 PM »
Steven,

Your hybrid_PPC has code for Mobile 5 I think, do not work on Mobile 3 SE with me. I see functions for menubar that microsoft claims to be unique for Mobole 5 and up.

Claudy      Belgium

Claudy

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 02:34:46 PM »
Steven,

Changed the menu-code so I can work in Mobile3 SE, nothing else.
Take a snap from google earth with my home in the center, and notify the LONGS and LATS of the snap.
Start Hybrid_ppc:
My home is practical in the center-cross (you may say in the center-cross ), this is very good I think (regarding the Google snap)
and it will indicate that my notifyed the LONGS and LATS are OK.
By the first gps data catch, the map jumps down 1/3 of data, and to the right 1/10 of data, and out of view if the mapis not huge.
Do you now another fast test methode, because no one will use a program that eats time to prepare it.
Wonderfull programming, but for me, I love comment...comment...comment..., even in my own code.

Claudy      Belgium

Steven

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 01:16:11 AM »
Hi Claudy,

Thank for your comments.

>Changed the menu-code so I can work in Mobile3 SE, nothing else.
What did you change to make it work in Mobile 3?

>By the first gps data catch, the map jumps down 1/3 of data, and to the right 1/10 of data...
What is in the calibration file for the Google map? The calibration must have both the LONG/LAT for the top left corner of the map, and the LONG/LAT for the bottom right corner of the map.

Steven

Claudy

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 04:16:08 PM »
Steven,

Piece of your code with change for menu for Mobile3SE, it is not worked out, but I could test with it, I think the jumping map
can be also be something of 5 and 3 difference: I try to upload a zip file, so you have it all... good luck !(do not work file to big)
I try 5 different sizes of maps with coresponding lats and longs of de corners, all maps did te same.

Claudy    Belgium

Steven

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2007, 01:50:29 AM »
Claudy,

What Pocket PC or Mobile SE are you using?

Steven

Diddl

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 12:55:33 PM »
wonderful app! works fine with my mda and a tomtom bluetooth.

Steven

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 12:41:21 AM »
Hi Diddl,

Good to hear that this application is OK for you.

The latest version of this application, V0.6, is at http://www.stwh.freeserve.co.uk/hybrid_ppc_06/index.htm. It can display two maps together, with one map overlayed transparently on the other.

The next improvement is to add a map tiling facility, for seamless movement between maps.

Steven

Diddl

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 08:28:38 AM »
cool, I will test new version after work.