NO

Author Topic: Some general newbie questions  (Read 3881 times)

post from old forum

Some general newbie questions
« on: September 13, 2004, 09:41:42 PM »
Hi,
I apologize if these have been covered before, but I couldn't find the answers by searching-

1. Why use Pelles C rather than the free Microsoft embedded tools (other than that the Microsoft tools take up a zillion megs of course)?

2. Is Pelles C only for PocketPC? Some things I see on the site suggest it might work in other applications, such as for desktop PCs. If it is only for PocketPC, if I wanted a desktop Windows C compiler, would the LCC compiler on which Pelles C is based, be a good choice and would it have the same 'look and feel' as Pelles C? It would be nice to be able to do both with one tool or at least with one learning curve.

3. I would like to write some PocketPC applications using a GPS installed in an IPAQ. Any known issues, tips, tools, or examples showing the use of Pelles C for this kind of application?

Thanks,

Bill D

post from old forum

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 09:42:07 PM »
Hello,
1. If you don't mind the huge download, you will probably get more with the Microsoft tools: more optimizing compiler, more samples, more #include files, API help file, and an emulator. With Pelles C, you will probably get more of your requests implemented, within a shorter time-frame (at least if the requests are sensible).

2. Pelles C is for Windows (desktop), Pocket PC and Smartphones. LCC-Win32 is another compiler system based on the LCC compiler (by Hanson and Fraser). Only the *original* compiler is the same (more or less - we started from different versions), the rest is very different.

3. Never tried any GPS applications myself, so I can't help you there.

Pelle

post from old forum

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2004, 09:42:37 PM »
You don't get any C99 support though with the Microsoft tools. No nice IDE either. Only runs on XP/Server 2003 too.

Discworld