NO

Author Topic: Newbie Question - How do I open more than I source code file?  (Read 4882 times)

dcipher

Newbie Question - How do I open more than I source code file?
« on: November 25, 2011, 11:12:03 PM »
Hi

I guess it is because I am new to Pelles IDE but I can create a new source file but when I try to create a second one (without first closing the first source file) the IDE just flashes and I do not get the new source file.  If I close the first source file and then create a new source file everything words fine.  I am using version 6.5.8 release candidate #4 on Windows 7 64bit.

How can I get multiple source files open at once?

Thanks
Simon

CommonTater

Re: Newbie Question - How do I open more than I source code file?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 11:44:30 PM »
I do it all the time....  sometimes having 10 or more open at once.

Are the files part of your project?
If so, just double click them in the project tree.
If not use the file -> open menu function.

The only other possibility is that you don't have enough memory...
Win7 x64 requires 4gb ram to run correctly.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 11:46:02 PM by CommonTater »

dcipher

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 01:06:49 AM »
My computer has 8gb of ram.  I tried opening more than 1 file and that does not work either.  As long as I close all the files then I can open one but once I have a file open I cannot open any more.

Maybe I will try to uninstall and reinstall the program.

Simon

dcipher

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 01:16:00 AM »
I uninstalled the program and then re-installed it and everything works fine.  So I do not know what was wrong but it is fixed now.

Simon

CommonTater

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 01:52:11 AM »
I uninstalled the program and then re-installed it and everything works fine.  So I do not know what was wrong but it is fixed now.

Simon

Hmmm... can't say I've seen that one before ... 

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 03:38:39 AM »
Never had that problem either and I use Pelle's C IDE a lot to edit files for some DOS based C programming, as they provide a nice syntax highlighting environment. And for that, I have at least half a dozen source windows open all the time...

Ralf

CommonTater

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2011, 05:19:08 AM »
Never had that problem either and I use Pelle's C IDE a lot to edit files for some DOS based C programming, as they provide a nice syntax highlighting environment. And for that, I have at least half a dozen source windows open all the time...

Ralf

We do know there's a limit in the 32 bit POIDE of (I think) 8 files... but not in the 64bit...

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2011, 05:31:09 AM »

Ralf

We do know there's a limit in the 32 bit POIDE of (I think) 8 files... but not in the 64bit...
Sorry, can't confirm that. I am using the 32bit version (6.50rc4) on Windows XPSP3 and just opened from the last project I was working on a total of 15 .c, .h and .asm files, all at once...

Ralf

CommonTater

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2011, 05:40:40 AM »

Ralf

Sorry, can't confirm that. I am using the 32bit version (6.50rc4) on Windows XPSP3 and just opened from the last project I was working on a total of 15 .c, .h and .asm files, all at once...

Ralf

I ran into it on an earlier version ... rc1  I think... so the good news is it's been fixed???

In any case the OP seems up and going, which is a good thing...

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2011, 05:45:11 AM »
I ran into it on an earlier version ... rc1  I think... so the good news is it's been fixed???
As mentioned before, usually I have about half a dozen files open at the same time, but sometimes certainly more than 8, even with older versions.
I think I started to use Pelle's C this way with the latest 5.x version and can't remember to have had any issues like this ever...

Ralf

CommonTater

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »
As mentioned before, usually I have about half a dozen files open at the same time, but sometimes certainly more than 8, even with older versions.
I think I started to use Pelle's C this way with the latest 5.x version and can't remember to have had any issues like this ever...

Ralf

Certainly I've never seen it limit to a single file...

Anyhow... He's up and running now, which is the good news.

The problem with 8 files limit was short lived and only on the 32 bit IDE... so it's a done deal too.