NO

Author Topic: Operating Systems....  (Read 15816 times)

EdPellesC99

Re: Operating Systems....
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 05:49:11 PM »
Not to argue, as I have sensed in prior threads that you like to argue.

First of all, to "write" the application, you do not need to apply for membership with the Android market.
No one said this: they would have to have been an idiot to say that, so why do you have this "first of all" (because you want to argue).

In general, you do NOT need to root any Android phone/tablet to install non-Market apps.

This is contrary to a YouTube video I watched, but I hope you are correct as will be picking up my Android phone in a week and it would be nice if you are correct, and the guy that posts tutorials is wrong. I sincerely mean that, it will be better for me if I want to write utilities for the phone ......the guy could be wrong... we all have that capability.

I think there is nothing wrong with Java, I started learning it years ago, I just was not interested in doing anything but windows stuff, and there is a lot of bloat when you write in a language that is not native.

You can learn Pascal to avoid Java, the native language for using Android, and think well of yourself ....but not me.

If I did that, I would think I was hauling coal to NewCastle.

I have a hard time believing DreamWeaver is a common path to programming for Android. You can blaze that trail to your hearts content.

Ed

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 07:28:26 PM »

First of all, to "write" the application, you do not need to apply for membership with the Android market.
No one said this: they would have to have been an idiot to say that, so why do you have this "first of all" (because you want to argue).
Sorry, I forgot to quote the part of your post that I just wanted to clarify, as it is simply wrong, no need to "argue":
Quote from: EdPellesC99
From what I read today, if I wanted to write an app for an Android phone, it would have to qualify to get into the Android Market store
In general, you do NOT need to root any Android phone/tablet to install non-Market apps.
This is contrary to a YouTube video I watched, but I hope you are correct as will be picking up my Android phone in a week and it would be nice if you are correct, and the guy that posts tutorials is wrong. I sincerely mean that, it will be better for me if I want to write utilities for the phone ......the guy could be wrong... we all have that capability.
I do have an Android phone myself for more than a year and a half (now an HTC Evo Shift, before that at my previous employer, a Motorola Droid 2, both running Android 2.3) and both have said option. And likewise the Motorola Atrix 4G and the Motorola XOOM tablet (with Android 3.0), for which I wrote a custom apps for a client, first using PhoneGap, then re-written using MoSync, as that has a better API connection. And I am currently in the process to write a more extensive version in FreePascal for JVM...
As this is a very custom application and it is deployed only on a very limited number of devices (3 phones and 4 tablets), there was just no point in publishing it on the Android Market...
I think there is nothing wrong with Java, I started learning it years ago, I just was not interested in doing anything but windows stuff, and there is a lot of bloat when you write in a language that is not native.
There's hardly more obvious bloat that where Windows programming is heading with all the .NET stuff that it depends on. And that will even get worse with Windows 8...
You can learn Pascal to avoid Java, the native language for using Android, and think well of yourself ....but not me.
I started out with Pascal almost 37 years ago. And I have learned and used Java since it first came out. But if I have a choice in writing an application, I use the best tool for the task, which gives me the best result in the most comfortable/practical way...
I have a hard time believing DreamWeaver is a common path to programming for Android. You can blaze that trail to your hearts content.
I am not blazing anything, it was just one example of a way to create apps for smartphones these days. Including testing apps with an integrated emulator.
And that includes not only Android, but those tools are nowadays cross-platform, covering iOS, WebOS and Symbian as well.

Ralf

Kenton Ortega

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2013, 01:22:44 PM »

First of all, to "write" the application, you do not need to apply for membership with the cheap Android tablets market.
Sorry, I forgot to quote the part of your post that I just wanted to clarify, as it is simply wrong, no need to "argue":
From what I read today, if I wanted to write an app for an Android phone, it would have to qualify to get into the Android Market store
I do have an Android phone myself for more than a year and a half (now an HTC Evo Shift, before that at my previous employer, a Motorola Droid 2, both running Android 2.3) and both have said option. And likewise the Motorola Atrix 4G and the Motorola XOOM tablet (with Android 3.0), for which I wrote a custom apps for a client, first using PhoneGap, then re-written using MoSync, as that has a better API connection. And I am currently in the process to write a more extensive version in FreePascal for JVM...
As this is a very custom application and it is deployed only on a very limited number of devices (3 phones and 4 tablets), there was just no point in publishing it on the Android Market...
There's hardly more obvious bloat that where Windows programming is heading with all the .NET stuff that it depends on. And that will even get worse with Windows 8...
I started out with Pascal almost 37 years ago. And I have learned and used Java since it first came out. But if I have a choice in writing an application, I use the best tool for the task, which gives me the best result in the most comfortable/practical way...
I am not blazing anything, it was just one example of a way to create apps for smartphones these days. Including testing apps with an integrated emulator.
And that includes not only Android, but those tools are nowadays cross-platform, covering iOS, WebOS and Symbian as well.

Ralf
  The new xoom tab from motorola may hit many tablets available in the market. It is also an android version of the tablet.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 03:28:58 AM by Kenton Ortega »

maricel

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2013, 11:11:15 AM »

If I did that, I would think I was hauling coal to NewCastle.

Ed

If you are planning to develop first android apps then i think it is worth for you to go through this : http://developer.android.com/training/basics/firstapp/index.html. This post can answer many of your question.

pelles2013C

« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2013, 07:50:59 AM »
I also encounter that on my netbook, there's a pop up and crash will come out. Hope in Windows 8 in laptop-tablet will not encounter same failure.

mariacrossfun
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:54:14 AM by Stefan Pendl »

Kenton Ortega

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2013, 04:15:21 AM »
To be honest, I don't know a lot about mobile OSs or mobiles for that matter.  I work with destop machines all day, almost every day, and getting out of the house means leaving all that at home.  We even have a "no cellphones" rule in our house... if you're here to visit, we'd appreciate it if you were actually here... so the cellphone gets turned off and put in a basket by the door for you to reclaim when leaving.

From what I've seen of Windows 8 tablet ... in previews only... It appears they've designed some kind of new inteface language for the OS, but you can turn it off and do it the "old way" if you wish.  The big noise is that it's "finger friendly"... which means you need touchscreen to get the best from it... and you'll like need to clean it 5 times a day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92QfWOw88I

Hehe ,Cleanning it 5 times a day is a pain !

mike81

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 03:11:08 PM »

First of all, to "write" the application, you do not need to apply for membership with the cheap Android tablets market.

Ralf

That's a big wow! united with all the cellphone Operating system, that's cool.   Mike
  The new xoom tab from motorola may hit many tablets available in the market. It is also an android version of the tablet.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:24:05 PM by mike81 »

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 03:49:00 PM »

And what you are trying to say is exactly what?  ???

Ralf