NO

Author Topic: D Programming Language Add-in & Wizard  (Read 7501 times)

CLR

D Programming Language Add-in & Wizard
« on: February 12, 2012, 06:18:56 PM »
This add-in is not the best tool for the job really, but if you love Pelles C you'll feel at home.

Link: http://my.opera.com/run3/blog/2012/02/09/d-programming-in-pelles-c

CommonTater

Re: D Programming Language Add-in & Wizard
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 06:49:30 PM »
Nice....

I looked at D a while back thinking it might be a good alternative to Pelles C but wasn't entirely impressed with the library or imports system they opted for... Frankly the std library was a wreck; competing libraries, stuff no normal person would ever use, bugs, etc. etc... Hopefully it's getting fixed.

CLR

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 09:26:50 PM »
I think D is not that bad, it's very nice :). But it looks like there's no market for another programming language and they have big competitors (C# from MS, Java from Oracle, Go from Google)

CommonTater

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 01:45:56 AM »
I think D is not that bad, it's very nice :) . But it looks like there's no market for another programming language and they have big competitors (C# from MS, Java from Oracle, Go from Google)

Make no mistake D had (has?) enormous potential...  from looking at the compiler design and the keywords etc. I'd say it's a really good language.  It is basically C++ with *real* strings... just what the doctor ordered.  Excellent work, very well done. 

Where the author made his mistakes were:

1) Opening the library devlopment to the "open source" community who then proceeded to shovel tons of crap into what should have been a  base level language extension.  The library should have been very minimal, not the "everything including the kitchen sink" version they have now. 

2) Not importing Windows headers directly.  The process of converting several hundred headers and libs also got left to open sourcers many of whom tried to write windows imports from linux, creating a huge jumble of files that either don't work correctly or can't be compiled at all.  To the best of my knowledge there still isn't a complete set of imports for Windows...   He should have simply written it to connect directly to the SDK headers and libs.  He could still have incorporated his modules as well and they would have been terrific for developers working on large projects; the way Pascal developers did.

Take away those two mistakes and I'd be using D right now.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:48:06 AM by CommonTater »

CLR

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 03:15:50 AM »
Yeah, it's sad but true.  ;D  It's not very easy for beginners, things that should work out of the box are very complicated to achieve (try linking to a database, or using PostMessage) I think D could be a very successful language though.

CommonTater

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 04:09:27 AM »
Yeah, it's sad but true.  ;D  It's not very easy for beginners, things that should work out of the box are very complicated to achieve (try linking to a database, or using PostMessage) I think D could be a very successful language though.

I agree... It could be a very successful language if it wasn't so terribly mis-managed.  I guess this is a prime example of that old saying "Too many cooks spoil the broth"... He should never have left the library and imports development to the Open Source crowd.  It would have been more work, I agree, but the crucial base phases of development should have been kept in-house; a small well managed team would have made all the difference.

The Addin is pretty good though  :D  ... wonder where the idea came from ... LOL...

CLR

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 08:35:29 PM »
The Addin is pretty good though  :D  ... wonder where the idea came from ... LOL...

It's a secret. Don't tell anyone   ::)

CLR

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 03:35:46 AM »
Hello. A new version of the addin is available on the blog.

There is also a new version of the D compiler at http://dlang.org/ If you install the new compiler, you should also install the latest version of the win32 bindings.

CommonTater

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 06:35:13 AM »
Hello. A new version of the addin is available on the blog.

There is also a new version of the D compiler at http://dlang.org/ If you install the new compiler, you should also install the latest version of the win32 bindings.

Excellent .. is there amd64 support in D yet?

CLR

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 12:50:26 PM »
Excellent .. is there amd64 support in D yet?

Unfortunately no.  :( It's Windows 32 bits only

CLR

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 05:39:15 AM »
I was wrong. There is MinGW64 D Compiler:

http://forum.dlang.org/thread/jg11ok$30s6$1@digitalmars.com