NO

Author Topic: Messed Up File Types  (Read 6150 times)

Jacobbev

Messed Up File Types
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:45:37 AM »
I made the terrible mistake of trying out microsoft c++ express! After uninstall it changed my file types... .C is now c file instead of c source and .h is now h file which the .c file cannot read! how can i fix my filetypes! It also changed the default image of c source and header files :(

CommonTater

Re: Messed Up File Types
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 04:14:01 AM »
Well the first thing you do is go into Control Panel -> Folder options -> View and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"... so you can see the actual types of the files.

The second thing you do is stop using that idiotic Librarian for your source code... Make a *separate folder* for your source code (outside of your documents folder) and then make folders under that folder for each project.

Then you can truck on over to the C++ support forums and ask them how to fix the rest...
This forum is for Pelles C, not Microsoft C++.

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 07:36:46 PM »
You could reinstall PellesC to get the file associations back.
---
Stefan

Proud member of the UltraDefrag Development Team

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 07:50:08 PM »
Then you can truck on over to the C++ support forums and ask them how to fix the rest...
I think you misunderstood (part of) his problem.

He wants to keep using Pelle's C but somehow after uninstalling Visual C++ Express, the associations did not get restored to the previous state but to default state (the icon for .C shows it associated with Notepad, which IIRC is the default).

Simplest way to restore those associations is to right click any of those files, select "Open with...", then "Choose Default program...", select Pelle's C IDE and make sure that the check box "Always use the selected program...." is checked before hitting ok. The do the same for .h, .inc, .ppj and .ppx at least, that should get him going again...

Ralf

CommonTater

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 09:53:51 PM »
I think you misunderstood (part of) his problem.

He wants to keep using Pelle's C but somehow after uninstalling Visual C++ Express, the associations did not get restored to the previous state but to default state (the icon for .C shows it associated with Notepad, which IIRC is the default).

Simplest way to restore those associations is to right click any of those files, select "Open with...", then "Choose Default program...", select Pelle's C IDE and make sure that the check box "Always use the selected program...." is checked before hitting ok. The do the same for .h, .inc, .ppj and .ppx at least, that should get him going again...

Ralf

Thank you Ralf... my bad.  I thought he was trying to fix it for VC++.... ;)

Yes... the right click and open with thing is the easy fix...

For the OP... sorry for the misunderstanding.

Jacobbev

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 02:49:53 AM »
It's all good but now .h is a pelles c include file but when i try to import it into a project it says "Target file cannot be determined from the source file extension!

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 06:17:40 AM »
It's all good but now .h is a pelles c include file but when i try to import it into a project it says "Target file cannot be determined from the source file extension!
Well, here probably applies what CommonTater mentione din his reply, make sure you see the whole file name with extension and not by chance changed into something like "sample.h.txt". In that case .txt is the actual extension but with the "known extensions hidden" feature enabled, you would only see "sample.h", but which in fact is no .h file as the IDE/compiler expects, but a .txt file...

Ralf

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 09:01:03 AM »
PellesC doesn't support direct inclusion of '.h' files like VC++.
You must include only source files (.c) and the IDE will automatically include all the .h files mentioned in your sources.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide