NO

Author Topic: Translation is not working  (Read 9420 times)

migf1

Translation is not working
« on: May 29, 2012, 10:53:54 AM »
Hello everyone,

yesterday I made this post: http://forum.pellesc.de/index.php?topic=3704.msg17264#msg17264 in the General  Discussions section, regarding a Greek translation of the IDE

I'm quoting it again here, for your convenience....

Couldn't decide whether to file this as a bug, but I haven't extensively tested, so I'm writing here instead.

I'm trying to translate poide 6.50 rc4 to Greek (I've read the wiki & everything) but poide refuses to show up the translated resources when I invoke it with /l 0x08. I've tried directly from the command-line, and via a shortcut.

WinXP Pro, 32bit, SP3 English, with the Regional Settings switched to Greek.

PS. Tomorrow I'll also try it on my Win7 Home, 64bit, Greek but even if it works there, I'd really appreciate some pointers to also make it work on XP too.

Well, it doesn't work on Win7 either. Neither directly nor with the "/l 0x08" command-line arg.

Is this indeed a bug or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks

migf1

Re: Translation is not working
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 02:37:25 PM »
Hello,

is it safe to assume that Pelle (or anyone else) doesn't care about translations any more?

I have already translated about a dozen of menus, which I cannot test. Should I simply forget about it?

Online AlexN

• Global Moderator
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 03:38:07 PM »
I use the german translation (by Christian and part of the installation package) and it works on XP, Vista and Win7. The parameter /l 9 I use only for starting poIDE with an english interface.
Perhaps you can compare your work with the german and swedish translation to find some differnces.

EDIT: If you want you can add your translation here and I look, if I can start poIDE with it. ;)
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 03:44:14 PM by AlexN »
best regards
 Alex ;)

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 03:40:59 PM »
Don't give up.

Here id LCIDs:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/goglobal/bb964664

Greek is 0408h so name for dll is rsrc0408.dll.

Code: [Select]
#define UNICODE
#define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
#include <windows.h>
#pragma comment(linker, "/SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS")
int __cdecl WinMainCRTStartup(void)
{
LANGID LanguageID = GetUserDefaultLangID();
TCHAR szTmp[100];
wsprintf(szTmp, TEXT("UserDefaultLangID = %X"), LanguageID);
MessageBox(0, szTmp, TEXT("GetUserDefaultLangID"), MB_OK|MB_ICONINFORMATION);
ExitProcess(0);
}

Can someone attach some of language resource dll for testing ?
May the source be with you

Online AlexN

• Global Moderator
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 03:47:08 PM »
Can someone attach some of language resource dll for testing ?
As I wrote, in the installation package is a german translation and AFAIK a swedish translation.
best regards
 Alex ;)

migf1

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 04:00:58 PM »
Thank you for responding.

According to Pelles C wiki, lcid for greek is 0008, but I just tried it with the suggested 0x0408... no luck!

I'm attaching a bit older snapshot of the translation, having only the first 3 or 4 menus translated (for anyone interested in testing it). It includes both 0x0008 and 0x0408 attempts.

PS. I'll have a look a the German translation as soon as I go home, thanks for the suggestion.

migf1

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 06:01:26 PM »
Guys I just got home. Cannot find neither the German nor the Swedish translations that were suggested. Where are they?

Or could someone upload either one so I can compare it with the Greek one I'm working on? ( for v6.50rc4, the latest stable release).

Thanks.

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 06:07:27 PM »
Here is rsrc008.rc extracted from rsrc009.dll version 6.50
Only languageid is changed to LANGUAGE LANG_GREEK,SUBLANG_DEFAULT
You can test with it when it stop loading after making changes.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 06:16:53 PM by timovjl »
May the source be with you

migf1

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 06:20:23 PM »
Here is rsrc008.rc extracted from rsrc009.dll version 6.50
Only languageid is changed to LANGUAGE LANG_GREEK,SUBLANG_DEFAULT
You can test with it when it stop loading after making changes.
This one is working fine, thanks.

However, I do not understand why the one I uploaded is not working... I didn't do anything fancy, I just followed the steps listed in the Wiki, using the files provided there.

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 09:36:14 PM »
I just followed the steps listed in the Wiki, using the files provided there.
I would always use the files from the current version of PellesC, you never know, if the files are from the correct PellesC version on the Wiki.
---
Stefan

Proud member of the UltraDefrag Development Team

migf1

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 09:51:25 PM »
I just followed the steps listed in the Wiki, using the files provided there.
I would always use the files from the current version of PellesC, you never know, if the files are from the correct PellesC version on the Wiki.

Indeed!

Anyway, I started translating from scratch, again. Thanks for your help guys!

PS. A current update to the wiki would be nice though :)

migf1

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 01:59:02 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm almost finished with the translation (which btw was much more work than I was expecting). Should I send it directly to Pelle or post it on the forum?

PS. Most probably I'll have it ready by tomorrow.

CommonTater

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 03:22:14 AM »
Hi guys,

I'm almost finished with the translation (which btw was much more work than I was expecting). Should I send it directly to Pelle or post it on the forum?

PS. Most probably I'll have it ready by tomorrow.

I would suggest you send it to Pelle as I'm sure he will want to check it before cutting it loose.

migf1

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 02:58:04 PM »
I would suggest you send it to Pelle as I'm sure he will want to check it before cutting it loose.

That makes perfect sense, thanks!

However, I just discovered this: http://www.microsoft.com/language/en-us/Search.aspx?langID=el-gr.
So far I was using the corresponding Open Source Glossary (Greek): http://www.ellak.gr/index.php?option=com_glossary, along with http://mymemory.translated.net/

I've already spotted some inconsistencies among them, so I need to go over them in the translation.

CommonTater

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 05:57:56 PM »

That makes perfect sense, thanks!

However, I just discovered this: http://www.microsoft.com/language/en-us/Search.aspx?langID=el-gr.
So far I was using the corresponding Open Source Glossary (Greek): http://www.ellak.gr/index.php?option=com_glossary, along with http://mymemory.translated.net/

I've already spotted some inconsistencies among them, so I need to go over them in the translation.

Ummmm... why the online translations?  It seems to me the first prerequisite here is that you need to know both English and the target language to a reasonable level of confidence. 

I tried your mymemory.translated.net link with "My car is blown out" english to french, it came back with "C'est complètement absurde" which translates back to "That's totally ridiculous"...  In my experience mechanical translation is, in fact, totally ridiclous.