NO

Author Topic: vi style  (Read 5635 times)

wasp

vi style
« on: August 22, 2012, 02:48:13 PM »
Hello!

Do you plan to add functionality to the source editor in the style of vim?
I really need this option. Have once again copied to external editor vim.

Thanks

CommonTater

Re: vi style
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 03:51:16 PM »
What features did you want?

It may be possible to do some of them in AddIns, which you can code yourself and then share in the AddIns section.

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 06:26:24 PM »
Well, at least he's isn't asking for emacs support....  ;D

Ralf

wasp

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 07:00:11 AM »
A minimal set of functions: basic movements, insertion and replace (insert mode), deletion, copying, insert mode, visual mode, undoing, search and substitution, scrolling.
But even that sounds impressive list of features. Undoubtedly. :)

thanks

wasp

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 07:54:00 AM »
CommonTater,

programming experience I have is not enough to write AddIns.
Because I am a freshman in high-quality programming in C...

CommonTater

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:41:54 AM »
A minimal set of functions: basic movements, insertion and replace (insert mode), deletion, copying, insert mode, visual mode, undoing, search and substitution, scrolling.
But even that sounds impressive list of features. Undoubtedly. :)

thanks

Ok... Aside from "visual mode" most of that stuff is standard editing and most of it is already in the Source Editor... Look around the menus... spend time in the help file... you'll be glad you did.

wasp

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 01:34:14 PM »
> Ok... Aside from "visual mode" most of that stuff is standard editing and
> most of it is already in the Source Editor...
> Look around the menus... spend time in the help file... you'll be glad you did.

VI editor modes listed are accurate description. Unfortunately for me,
these features is important. Most of the time I work with the editor VI.
Below is a sample of these functions.

CommonTater

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 01:44:49 PM »
> Ok... Aside from "visual mode" most of that stuff is standard editing and
> most of it is already in the Source Editor...
> Look around the menus... spend time in the help file... you'll be glad you did.

VI editor modes listed are accurate description. Unfortunately for me,
these features is important. Most of the time I work with the editor VI.
Below is a sample of these functions.

Nothing stops you from creating Pelles C source code in VI... Just make sure it's saved in a format acceptable to the command line tools... utf8 (recommended), utf16le, or  ANSI. 

You can compile from the command line using any of the the command line tools (again... look in the help file!) and for big jobs you can use POMAKE. 

The only thing you'll be missing are project management, call tips, code completion, struture element lists, brace matching, folding, dialog editor, string table editor, message table editor, icon editor, bitmap editor and a couple of other (ahem) minor and seldom used functions.  :D

As I am constantly cautioning people... be very careful that you are not merely reacting to the difference... sometimes different actually is better.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:55:20 PM by CommonTater »

wasp

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 02:25:54 PM »
> As I am constantly cautioning people...
> be very careful that you are not merely reacting to the difference...
> sometimes different actually is better.

Thank you. The difficulties of translation. I appreciate the opportunity the development
environment from Pelles. Frequent switching between the IDE and external editor
annoying. Forced to use a Visual Studio extension VsVim (vim emulation layer for VS).
But this heavy-development environment for small applications.  :)

CommonTater

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 02:36:44 PM »
Thank you. The difficulties of translation. I appreciate the opportunity the development
environment from Pelles. Frequent switching between the IDE and external editor
annoying. Forced to use a Visual Studio extension VsVim (vim emulation layer for VS).
But this heavy-development environment for small applications.  :)

I can appreciate the awkwardness you are encountering, however I assure you it's not necessary. I also develop small applications --the stuff a big programming house would charge way too much for-- and I do it all in Pelles C. 

The IDE is perfectly capable of what you want to do, and a lot more... you simply need to spend time in the help file --yes really; read the help file-- and familiarize yourself with the Source Editor's features... it already and easily does most of what you listed, it just uses different keyboard shortcuts to do them.  Most things are also on the IDE's menus... open each one and get familiar with where things are and what they do...

In the long run spending a few minutes getting used to the new editor will save you hours and hours of flipping back and forth simply because you are rejecting the unfamiliar...

Offline AlexN

• Global Moderator
    • Alex's Link Sammlung
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2012, 11:21:15 AM »
There is a small text editor at http://www.winvi.de/en/ (with source code), which knows many vi commands. Perhaps you can use it to redirect texts to this editor via addin or you can use the source to create you own addin. ;)
best regards
 Alex ;)

CommonTater

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2012, 04:00:57 PM »
There is a small text editor at http://www.winvi.de/en/ (with source code), which knows many vi commands. Perhaps you can use it to redirect texts to this editor via addin or you can use the source to create you own addin. ;)

That's an awful lot of work just because you want to press ctrl-h instead of the left arrow key.