NO

Author Topic: Default project options, bundling Pelles C  (Read 6810 times)

heycam

Default project options, bundling Pelles C
« on: April 22, 2005, 07:30:51 AM »
Hi.

I'm evaluating the Pelles C IDE for use in a first year programming course for students who don't want to use the (highly buggy and old) Borland C++ for Windows that is installed in the labs.  I must say, so far what I see is great.  There are a couple of things that I'd like to know though:
[list=1]
  • Is there a way to specify default project options for new projects?  I'd like to avoid having the students to go into the project options window and change the debugging info options every time they start a new program.  Can I somehow save some options as default?
  • Are the global options just saved in the registry?  I want to change some options and have those be the default after installing.  Edit: I found the settings in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\..., but I couldn't see where the Folders settings are saved.  They're not there in the registry as far as I can see.
  • Am I allowed by the licence to package up the required files for running Pelles C and the settings and make this available on the university's web page?
  • [/list:o]
    Thanks,

Cameron

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
Re: Default project options, bundling Pelles C
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2005, 02:11:36 PM »
Quote from: "heycam"
Is there a way to specify default project options for new projects?  I'd like to avoid having the students to go into the project options window and change the debugging info options every time they start a new program.  Can I somehow save some options as default?

Not really. You always have the option of making a custom project wizard - but this, of course, involves more work. Have a look in the help file: Appendix -> Project Wizard API.

Are the global options just saved in the registry?  I want to change some options and have those be the default after installing.  Edit: I found the settings in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\..., but I couldn't see where the Folders settings are saved.  They're not there in the registry as far as I can see.

The global settings are stored in the registry under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Pelle Orinius\PellesC.
Global folder settings are in the subkey Directories, in the values IncludeDirs, LibraryDirs, and PathDirs. The syntax is like in environment variables (INCLUDE, LIB, PATH): path1;path2;...

Am I allowed by the licence to package up the required files for running Pelles C and the settings and make this available on the university's web page?

Sure - go ahead.

Pelle
/Pelle

heycam

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2005, 05:31:26 PM »
Quote from: "Pelle"
Not really. You always have the option of making a custom project wizard - but this, of course, involves more work. Have a look in the help file: Appendix -> Project Wizard API.

Ok.  I think it would be a handy feature to have, and easier than using a wizard every time you start a new program.  Perhaps even just specifying a default .ppj file to grab the compiler and linker options from.  I think the students will find it a bit tedious to open up the project options window and turn on debugging information for the compiler and the linker and turn off optimizations.  Perhaps also consider asking the user if they want to turn debugging information on when they choose the Debug command?

What sort of project gets created when you create a new source file and try to build it?  The dialog says a "default project", but I don't know which one that is.

Finally, what would be handy for students would be the ability to have multiple programs open to compile and run.  Typically they will be working on a number of simple, one source file problems in a prac and will need to switch between these when demonstrating them.  It seems that single .c files still must have a project, and that only one project can be open at a time.  In Borland C++, for example, you can switch between any open .c file in the Window menu and then compile or run it, without it being in a project.

I think the interface of your IDE is quite clean and simple.  I'd like to avoid the clutter of something like Dev-C++, though that IDE will turn on debugging information if the user attempts to debug the program, and it can support the single file .c programs that I mention above.

On your web pages I saw a section "Source code" and I thought I'd just grab the source for your IDE and make the small changes that I need, but it seems it isn't the source to your program. :(

Cameron

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2005, 05:51:31 PM »
How about using dbgrel.dll Add-In.
Then there are buttons for debug/release mode.

That WinCon changes between Windows/Console mode.
May the source be with you

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2005, 08:15:49 PM »
Ok.  I think it would be a handy feature to have, and easier than using a wizard every time you start a new program.

I tend to agree with you on this.  I'm not much of a fan of the way POIDE creates new projects.  I find having to go through the wizards each time  rather cumbersome.  

A simple Wish List:

1. A settings tab, under Tools, Customize, to allow us to select which wizards are displayed in the initial panel. I only use 4 (Win32 Console App, Win 32 Gui App, Win32 DLL and Win32 Lib).  It would be nice to hide the rest.

2. The Project Wizard tool should be optional. The New menu should have separate entries for New Project and New Project Wizard.  The new project option should bring up a dialog with a space to name the project and set some general settings -- optimization strategy, simplified debug settings, type of file to build...  

3. Default project settings --one set for each type of output file-- stored by POIDE and called up when a new project is started.  (I don't even want to guess how often I've had to check the same options over and over.)

4. Default #defines (eg. WIN32_DEFAULT_LIBS) loaded when a new project is created.  Again, one set for each mode.

5. Multiple open projects in the same copy of the IDE.  While it's possible to fake this by opening multiple copies of the IDE it is sometimes rather difficult to keep track of what you have in which copy and having to open each in turn hunting for a file can be quite annoying.

6. User added files.  If I am working on a project I should be able to list reference files (public headers, previous versions etc.) that are not part of the compilation in my projects.  (You can fake this by using the open dialog, but opening the same files over and over is a pain).

7. Unlimited number of open files.  POIDE currently hits the wall at about 60 files.  

8. Multiline file tabs.  The horizontal scolling tabs are a real pain.

9. Ability to run the Resource editor outside the IDE.  This would be nice as it would allow simple revisions and internationalization for which you have no other reason to open POIDE (eg. to fix a spelling mistake or when you don't have the source code.)  I've even suggested that Pelles Resource Editor would make a fine second product  for just this reason.  

10. Search and Replace buttons on the tool bar.  (Ok minor grumble but while making lists...)

Pelles-C is probably the best C language implementation going.  It's my compiler/linker of choice.

But like most implementations it's actually the IDE where you run into shorcommings.  There was one IDE (Watcom, I think) that didn't have a horizontal scroll bar in it's editor... massively annoying, a deal breaker in fact.  Another has so much junk in it as to be confusing.  Still another was so underfeatured that Notepad was better.  

I'm sure Pelle is interested in developing the entire package and in the past he's been very responsive to user requests.  But one can hardly blame him for not wanting to share source code after the amount of work he's obviously put into his product.

JohnF

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005, 05:39:00 AM »
I'm sure Pelle will do what he wants, not what others demand or appear to be demanding.

John

heycam

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005, 07:22:06 AM »
Quote from: "JohnF"
I'm sure Pelle will do what he wants, not what others demand or appear to be demanding.

I'm sure he will.  If it was open source I could make the changes I want myself, though, and not have to request features.  :)

JohnF

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2005, 08:32:16 AM »
Quote from: "JohnF"

I'm sure he will.  If it was open source I could make the changes I want myself, though, and not have to request features.  :)

Pelle has made it clear in the recent past that for the time being at least it will not become open source.

John

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2005, 02:19:52 PM »
What sort of project gets created when you create a new source file and try to build it?

A console mode program. The only type that makes any sense in this context.

Pelle
/Pelle