NO

Author Topic: Debug strings reader  (Read 4293 times)

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
Debug strings reader
« on: May 16, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »
During development with COM objects the debugger often hangs.  >:(
This is very annoying so I wrote a small tool to read the debugging informations without using the debugger.
Be aware that this tool use standard techniques slowing a bit all processes that emit an 'OutputDebugString'.
PellesC debugger use a different system, but this is a simple tool after all.....  ::)

EDIT: Small fixing.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:36:38 PM by frankie »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
Re: Debug strings reader
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 05:40:29 PM »
Works in ubuntu wine too !
This is very annoying so I wrote a small tool to read the debugging informations without using the debugger.
Be aware that this tool use standard techniques slowing a bit all processes that emit an 'OutputDebugString'.
PellesC debugger use a different system, but this is a simple tool after all.....  ::)
DbgView is similar tool.
This is very annoying ...
Yes it is, looks like it lost threads ?. Sometimes debug Break - Continue helps.
May the source be with you

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 05:57:44 PM »
Works in ubuntu wine too !
Great!  :)

DbgView is similar tool.

Yes I know, but here we have sources and it can be tailored for personal preferences....  ;)
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

czerny

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 08:30:05 PM »
Here is a little log/debug tool that I wrote. Maybe it is a little bit usefull.

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:57:40 AM »
Hi czerny,
you can try to integrate the logging in debugreader, but if you do so consider that, due to handshaking, while the reader is processing the string the target program is stopped waiting for transaction to complete.
This means that more time takes the reader more slow runs the target program.
A solution could be a large circular buffer used as double buffering:
1) for each debug string copy immediatly the debug buffer in the circular buffer and release handshaking.
2) In another thread process strings in the circular buffer.
It is not easy anyway because you have to synchronize buffer access on multithreaded basis, and manage buffer overrun conditions that can happen.