NO

Author Topic: Only Message Crackers  (Read 6608 times)

czerny

Only Message Crackers
« on: August 12, 2014, 03:23:32 PM »
I have tried to build an example window project without any case statements.
I have not used prototypes for all the functions 'func_OnSomething' because of the extra effort.

This is only a starting point!

I am sure there are lots of improvements and pitfalls, I would like to here from.

JohnF

Re: Only Message Crackers
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:55:55 AM »
The only pitfall I can think of is you might occasionally want to pass extra variables. The message crackers don't allow for that. Unless there is a way to do it that I'm not aware of.

John

Offline DMac

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 05:41:29 PM »
I prefer to use message crackers whenever I can to reduce the size of callback procedures and compartmentalize code.

The only pitfall I can think of is you might occasionally want to pass extra variables. The message crackers don't allow for that. Unless there is a way to do it that I'm not aware of.

John
If I wish to send a message with my own arguments I find the FORWARD macros helpful.  They ensure that the format of data attached to a message is correct for that message.  For example:
Code: [Select]
    //Update the fields
    FORWARD_WM_CHAR(g_lpInst->hwndCtl1, VK_RETURN, 0, SNDMSG);
    FORWARD_WM_CHAR(g_lpInst->hwndCtl2, VK_RETURN, 0, SNDMSG);
    //Trigger refresh
    FORWARD_WM_COMMAND(GetParent(hwnd), GetDlgCtrlID(hwnd), hwnd, LBN_SELCHANGE, SNDMSG);
When it comes to handling my own messages though, I take a mixed approach since I don't care to define message crackers for them.
HANDLE_MSG(hwnd, WM_SIZE, Grid_OnSize);
HANDLE_MSG(hwnd, WM_VSCROLL, Grid_OnVScroll);

//
//Begin Grid specific messages
//
case SG_ADDCOLUMN:
    return Grid_OnAddColumn(hwnd, wParam, lParam) - 1; // don't include row header column
case SG_ADDROW:
    return Grid_OnAddRow(hwnd, wParam, lParam) - 1; //don't include the column header row
David M
No one cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

JohnF

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 07:38:03 AM »
David, I was thinking something like this

case WM_LBUTTONDOWN:
  return OnLButtonDown(hwnd, LOWORD(lParam), HIWORD(lParam), &bInPosition, &bDoCapture);

I prefer to do it myself. :)

John

czerny

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 09:46:38 AM »
case WM_LBUTTONDOWN:
  return OnLButtonDown(hwnd, LOWORD(lParam), HIWORD(lParam), &bInPosition, &bDoCapture);
But this is as much work as to write a own cracker macro. And window local parameters can be hold in a structure which adress can be stored in wc.cbWndExtra or in GWLP_USERDATA if the control is not our own.

JohnF

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 10:43:30 AM »
case WM_LBUTTONDOWN:
But this is as much work as to write a own cracker macro. And window local parameters can be hold in a structure which adress can be stored in wc.cbWndExtra or in GWLP_USERDATA if the control is not our own.

I don't mind the work!

John

czerny

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2014, 08:48:39 PM »