NO

Author Topic: Is there a tutorial on how to use Pellas C for beginners?  (Read 15435 times)

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
Re: Is there a tutorial on how to use Pellas C for beginners?
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 03:48:11 AM »
Thanks Frankie again for your suggestions and help. I grew up with CP/M then went to Microsoft DOS so I've used command lines a lot.
Well, that makes you roughly as old as I am, I got started with CP/M, Apple DOS, Trash-DOS etc back in the '70s myself.

But ever since Turbo Pascal 1.0 on CP/M came out, I preferred to use an IDE for any compiler, in any language as much as I possibly could. This was also the main reason why I switched from DeSmet C to Turbo C as soon as that came out back in the early '80s.

You just have to see the IDE as a tool that is able to help you getting things done without having to deal with learning how each and every part of a compiler setup works on the command line. And pretty much each and every compiler is different, differences in the underlying OS notwithstanding...  ;)

Ralf

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 03:31:50 PM »
Thanks Frankie again for your suggestions and help. I grew up with CP/M then went to Microsoft DOS so I've used command lines a lot.
Well, that makes you roughly as old as I am, I got started with CP/M, Apple DOS, Trash-DOS etc back in the '70s myself.

But ever since Turbo Pascal 1.0 on CP/M came out, I preferred to use an IDE for any compiler, in any language as much as I possibly could. This was also the main reason why I switched from DeSmet C to Turbo C as soon as that came out back in the early '80s.

You just have to see the IDE as a tool that is able to help you getting things done without having to deal with learning how each and every part of a compiler setup works on the command line. And pretty much each and every compiler is different, differences in the underlying OS notwithstanding...  ;)

Ralf

We are all on the same side ...  ;)
Anyway get your time to move on, CP/M was great, but that times are gone, and as we already have done you'll get your way on  :D
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

czerny

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 06:43:39 PM »
This tutorial should include all the steps needed to generate a simple running program such as printing "Hello, world" using the command prompt window. Perhaps it could then demonstrate additional features of Pelles C in simple steps.
http://wiki.pellesc.de/doku.php/command

colepc

« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 03:29:23 PM »
This tutorial should include all the steps needed to generate a simple running program such as printing "Hello, world" using the command prompt window. Perhaps it could then demonstrate additional features of Pelles C in simple steps.
http://wiki.pellesc.de/doku.php/command
Thanks Czerny for the link for a quick guide for using the IDE. Should I get more adventuresome, I'll give it a try. Right now things are simple for me using the command prompt concept.

At this point I'm just kind of re-learning C after being away from it for so long. I need to re-read my copy of Kernighan/Ritchie "The C Programming Language" so I can re-remember how to use pointers, structures, and the other hard to learn stuff. Currently using a lot of while, if, and if/else but have yet to use for, do/while, and the others I've forgotten.

I created a program to view a file in hexadecimal, a program to create passwords, a program to encrypt a file using those passwords, and a program to decrypt the encrypted file. All of these I have done using simple command lines with no support for graphics or windows. I'm still having fun though, perhaps too much fun as I was mostly in C la la land all day and forgot to finish my laundry.   :P

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 09:56:31 PM »

Ralf

We are all on the same side ...  ;)
Anyway get your time to move on, CP/M was great, but that times are gone, and as we already have done you'll get your way on  :D
I am honestly a bit puzzled how/why you reply to me like this?  :-\

Ralf

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 03:53:34 PM »

Ralf
:(
Sorry Ralf. I meant:
As Ralf said ....
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 06:04:42 AM »

Ralf
:(
Sorry Ralf. I meant:
As Ralf said ....
Aaahhh, that clears things up! ;-)

Ralf  8)