NO

Author Topic: Where should I post general discussions?  (Read 6518 times)

colepc

Where should I post general discussions?
« on: March 23, 2015, 03:23:34 AM »
I'm having a hard time figuring out where to post general discussions. Should I use "PellesC Forum - General discussion", PellesC - General discussion", or "General - Chit-Chat"?

Offline DMac

Re: Where should I post general discussions?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 06:38:40 PM »
Hello colepc,

Ive been a member of the forum for quite a few years,  I understand the Forum General discussions thread to be the place for forum related content suggestions and discussions.  This forum topic does not receive a lot of posts and, as I look at it I notice that many of the posts better fit in other forum topic threads.  Indeed many have been moved to the question sections.

Pelles C General discussions thread, ought to be for anything compiler or IDE related that doesn't fit in the other Pelles C sub categories.  Your post "Changing from warning level -W1 to -W2" would go there.

Chit Chat is for anything else.  Christmas Greetings, I suppose Philosophical and Political stuff would go there too although this community tends to be code centric.  Your post "A problem here was really caused by a problem way over there" would go there.

In order to limit confusion I would recommend that Christian perhaps rename this forum topic from Pelles C forum » Pelles C forum » General discussion to Pelles C forum » Pelles C forum » Content suggestions and discussions.  Likewise I recommend renaming Pelles C forum » Pelles C » General discussions to Pelles C forum » Pelles C » Compiler and IDE discussions.

This way the necessity to move posts to other categories, which would become quite a task if this community suddenly experienced exponential growth, should be greatly reduced.

No one cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

colepc

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 08:04:10 PM »
I would agree that my post "Changing from warning level -W1 to -W2" should be in "General discussions" under the "Pelles C" section. Please move it.

I don't agree that my posting "A problem here was really caused by a problem way over there" should be in "Chit-Chat". It has to do with debugging C programs so it probably should be in "General discussions" or "Debugging" under the "C language" section except neither one of them exists there. So the "General discussion" that said it was, "The place where you can discuss everything related to this forum" sounded like a good choice to me. And there's that word "forum". What exactly does it mean? As I discussed in another comment, I thought "forum" meant this entire website. The section called "Pelles C forum" might be called a "sub-forum" but that would mean that all the other sections are "sub-forums" too even if they don't use the word "forum".

Offline DMac

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 09:40:48 PM »
I would agree that my post "Changing from warning level -W1 to -W2" should be in "General discussions" under the "Pelles C" section. Please move it.
I am unable to do so but perhaps one of the global moderators will.

And there's that word "forum". What exactly does it mean? As I discussed in another comment, I thought "forum" meant this entire website. The section called "Pelles C forum" might be called a "sub-forum" but that would mean that all the other sections are "sub-forums" too even if they don't use the word "forum".
Yes, they are sub-forums or sub sections if you will.  The Sub section "Pelles C forum" is a sub section that pertains to the content of the forum itself.  A place to suggest adding a category for example.  At least that is how I have assumed it.  Of course, as is the nature of assumptions, not every one shares the same ones.
No one cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.