NO

Author Topic: Annoying Pop-Up  (Read 6836 times)

it's me

Annoying Pop-Up
« on: July 20, 2005, 02:46:11 PM »
Hi!
I just installed Pelles C and wrote my first small program. But every time I focus another window then Pelles C afterwards (when I return to Pelles C) there is the message: "The file 'name of my current file' has been changed outside the IDE. Do you want to reload it?" It even pops up after executing my (console) program from the IDE.
What can I do?!! ](*,)

Anonymous

Re: Annoying Pop-Up
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 07:31:17 PM »
Quote from: "it's me"
Hi!
I just installed Pelles C and wrote my first small program. But every time I focus another window then Pelles C afterwards (when I return to Pelles C) there is the message: "The file 'name of my current file' has been changed outside the IDE. Do you want to reload it?" It even pops up after executing my (console) program from the IDE.
What can I do?!! ](*,)

Are you by chance running two copies of the IDE with the same project or source code file open?

Do you have the same source code file opened twice in the same copy of the IDE?

Either of these will trigger a "file changed" warning when the IDE comes to the foreground.

Another cause would be if you are writing something that's modifying your project's resources on the fly...

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 09:45:29 PM »
Hi!
What can I do?!! ](*,)

At the moment I can't think of a scenario, or a set of settings, that will produce this message without a reason (the file is in fact modified). If you think it's wrong, I need more information - anything you can give me: Windows version? File system type? Are you using backup files? Is name of my current file actually a C source file (as I assume) or is it some other type of file? Always happening? If not - anything special about the times when it is happening?

Pelle
/Pelle

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2005, 10:16:36 PM »
Quote from: "Pelle"

At the moment I can't think of a scenario, or a set of settings, that will produce this message without a reason (the file is in fact modified). If you think it's wrong, I need more information - anything you can give me: Windows version? File system type? Are you using backup files? Is name of my current file actually a C source file (as I assume) or is it some other type of file? Always happening? If not - anything special about the times when it is happening?
Pelle

Hi Pelle,
I've seen it a couple of times, but always with C files and only when I accidentally end up with two copies of the IDE open with the same file (I use multiple copies a lot as I work back and forth between the projects for EXEs and DLLs).  Whether I get the pop-up or not depends entirely upon which copy of the IDE I bring to the foreground...

Perhaps a user option to lock open source files (preventing multiple opens) might be a workable solution to this problem.

Greg

Annoying Pop-Up
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 04:27:19 AM »
I have seen the same thing under the same circumstances as ldblake. I considered it to be correct behavior.

Anonymous

Annoying Pop-Up
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 04:46:03 AM »
Quote from: "Greg"
I have seen the same thing under the same circumstances as ldblake. I considered it to be correct behavior.

Yeah it is correct behaviour... until you accidentally end up saving the older copy.

it's me

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 08:04:06 AM »
Thank you very much for your quick answers!! I think ldblake was right even if I don't know how I did it... But today everything is fine. No pop-ups anymore.  :D And yes - name of my current file actually is a C source file.
One more thing: I think Pelles C is a great program and I'll probably use it a lot!! And the big and well classified forum with lots of information and quick answers is great, too and helps very much! =D>  =D>  =D>

Anonymous

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 10:36:25 PM »
Thank you very much for your quick answers!!

Glad I could help.

Just keep an eye on how many copies of the IDE you have open and you should be fine.  Pelle has written a very powerful and useful tool and for the most part it works as intended.  Unfortunately that "file has changed" warning is expected behaviour.  It's intended to prevent you from overwriting a good file with a bad one...  

As I mentioned earlier file locking would correct the problem as you would be informed that the file is open in another copy of the IDE and you would not be able to open it a second time at all.  

Perhaps Pelle can be convinced to make this an option in his next version.

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
Annoying Pop-Up
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2005, 12:08:41 AM »
I can see no reason to run multiple copies of the IDE. Future versions of the IDE will prevent this from happening.

Pelle
/Pelle

Anonymous

Annoying Pop-Up
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 02:45:41 AM »
Quote from: "Pelle"
I can see no reason to run multiple copies of the IDE. Future versions of the IDE will prevent this from happening.
Pelle

Ok here's a scenario I use all the time...

Take a look at Mickey The Mouse Trick... two separate projects, one a DLL and the other an EXE.  When testing and debugging, it is very convenient to have both projects open at the same time and that means 2 copies of the IDE.  I can work back and forth between the two making changes and improvments as needed.  

Some projects, like the Midi Editor I'm working on require 5 and 6 open copies of the IDE as I work between DLLs, LIBs and EXEs...

Every so often I screw up and end up with two copies of the same project open at the same time... and then I get the "file changed" warnings.  It's become a signal to find the duplicate and close the oldest one.

I was just suggesting that if you locked the files, that couldn't happen.

Anyway, since you're going to incorporate it in future versions... THANKS!