NO

Author Topic: Pelles Installer (POINST) Wizard Error  (Read 2544 times)

Rnard

Pelles Installer (POINST) Wizard Error
« on: July 01, 2015, 01:49:18 PM »
Hi everyone,
i have tried creating an installer for an executable (which uses three external DLLs) via the Pelles Win32 Installer wizard, first time that i use it.

If i click on "Build", or "Compile Main.pis", i got the following error:

Building insttest.exe.
*** Error: poinst.exe  "C:\Documents and Settings\prog\installerWizardTest\test\main.pis"
*** Error:
Done.

I have done nothing else other then filling the forms hat the wizard displayed to me.
Did i miss something important ?
Or, should i compile it via command line, with some special flags?

Thank you in advance,
Rnard

Offline DMac

Re: Pelles Installer (POINST) Wizard Error
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 06:06:32 PM »
I have not used the Installer Wizard Project Template before but I tried it out just now to see how it works.

1.  I selected an executable and then added some help files in the wizard dialogs.
2.  In the Pelles C editor I selected Build and then compile.  Both of these options yielded the following status lines in the project tab:

Building Installer Test.exe
Done.

3.  Looking in the project folder I see the deployment exe.

4  However if I click "Execute" in the browser I get an error.  (Of course in principle it is not wise to test a deployment on one's development machine.)

It would seem to me that the Installer Wizard Project Template is working properly.

There is an alternative utility for easily creating POINST deployments that you might find helpful.  I wrote the first version of the tool at a time when Pelles C did not have the integrated wizard.  Pelle has included this tool on his site here.
No one cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

Rnard

Re: Pelles Installer (POINST) Wizard Error
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 11:36:46 AM »
Hi David,
thank you for replying.

I have followed your advice ("NOT testing a deployment on one's development machine"), and i have tried on a Win7 PC: the failed attempt was on an XP one. And in fact, everything worked like a charm this time !!!

Also, nice work for your wizard !

Rnard