NO

Author Topic: Can't Paste Into Source File  (Read 11247 times)

stecoop

Can't Paste Into Source File
« on: August 28, 2015, 02:54:15 AM »
I have a blank source code file open (DisplayControl.c) and another source file open (Base_Code.c) in the IDE. I select several lines of code in Base_Code.c, copy (CTRL-C or the tool bar button) to the clipboard, switch to DisplayControl.c, and attempt to paste (CTRL-V, or the tool bar button)...and nothing happens. I can paste the code into a NotePad or WordPad file so I know it's on the clipboard, but I can't paste it into my blank source file. And after some experimentation, I've found I can't paste anything into a source file in the IDE from any external source at all! This has brought my project to a complete halt - I'm transferring programs from Microsoft Visual C (Ver. 5) to Pelles C.

BTW, I'm using Windows 10.

Offline jj2007

Re: Can't Paste Into Source File
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 04:08:43 AM »
I can't paste anything into a source file in the IDE from any external source at all!

No problem here on Win7-64. Have you tried closing and relaunching the IDE, or rebooting? Sometimes the clipboard is really messed up, and Pelles C is rarely the culprit.

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 06:50:39 AM »
Works just fine for me, on both Windows 8.1/64 and Windows 10/64...

Ralf

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 12:15:03 PM »
What release of PellesC are you using?
---
Stefan

Proud member of the UltraDefrag Development Team

stecoop

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 06:14:46 PM »
I'm using version 8 of Pelles C.

On further experimentation, I've found I can't paste at all, even if I cut or copy from the same source file. I know what I'm cutting or copying is getting on the clipboard because I can open NotePad or WordPad and paste from the clipboard successfully.

I suppose I'll try re-installing Pelles C and see if that solves the problem. I'm on a new laptop and have been installing (and uninstalling) a lot of software over the last 3 weeks; it's possible Pelles got damaged.

stecoop

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 06:51:46 PM »
I downloaded the setup64.exe file again and ran it, re-installing Pelles C version 8.00.60.

I still cannot paste into files in the IDE. I even checked to make sure the files weren't read-only.

This is a deal breaker for me...I'm going to have to find another C compiler, even though I really liked the features I was seeing in Pelles.

Good luck to the rest of you.

avcaballero

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 08:46:50 PM »
Have you installed it as administrator?

stecoop

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2015, 11:31:12 PM »
Yes, I installed as Administrator.

stecoop

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015, 02:21:00 AM »
A short time ago, Microsoft forced another update on me, the second one today. Right after the update finished, I got all setup to make a screen capture video of the problem I've been fighting with for the last 24 hours. I started recording, and went into Pelles IDE to demonstrate what I was doing when the problem began, and, wouldn't you know it, the problem has gone away. I can paste in the IDE again!

All I can figure is that one of yesterdays updates crippled the clipboard in a way that only manifested in Pelles IDE, and today's most recent update fixed the problem.

Are any of you Windows 10 users as frustrated with Microsoft as I'm becoming? I'm really beginning to miss Win98...again.

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 06:31:38 AM »
Are any of you Windows 10 users as frustrated with Microsoft as I'm becoming? I'm really beginning to miss Win98...again.
Well,...

As for your problem with Pelle's C, you should consider that this is such a trivial function that it isn't very likely to be a general problem with the IDE. I for one, when ever people come with programming issues in here and I want to check out their code (and they don't post a zipped project file), I am doing a copy&paste ALL THE TIME. And I am sure there a quite a few other regulars who do exactly the same. So this would have come up long, long time ago...

Ralf

stecoop

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2015, 09:28:34 PM »
Well, as of last night it started doing it again...I can't paste into the IDE >:(

And there are no Windows updates to blame it on this time.

I can't be the only person who has run into this problem.

Offline RKSJBeck

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2015, 11:59:12 PM »
I have had the *exact* same problem.  I could cut and paste from/into any application except Pelles C.  Except my issue isn't consistent.  I am running Win7 64 bit and Pelles V8.00.60 64 bit install and if Pelles is the first program run, it seems to not have the issue, but that could just be coincidence.  Needless to say it can get very annoying.

stecoop

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2015, 02:04:33 AM »
It's good to know I'm not the only one having this problem, which means it's not something hinky with my machine or operating system.

Could the authors/programmers please look into this - "pasting" is NOT a minor function; when you're working with ten's of thousands of lines of code, "pasting" is a very valuable function! ;D

And anybody else out in the land of Pelles C having this problem, even infrequently, please, speak up. A problem no one talks about is not going to get fixed.

For the record: I am using a Dell Inspirion 15 with an Intel Quad Core I7 processor, Windows 10 64 bit home edition, and Pelles C version 8.00.60 64 bit.

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2015, 10:31:27 AM »
Can you give an example for situation when it happens?
Try smaller MaxFileSize value in register or XML-file.
May the source be with you

stecoop

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2015, 03:03:56 PM »
The first time it happened, I had just booted the computer, went in to Pelles C IDE and tried to copy and paste from one source file to another, but the paste function wouldn't work. For more than a day, no matter how I tried to paste, paste wouldn't work, until I set-up to record a screen capture of the problem, at which point paste started working again.

The second time it failed, I had been in Pelles C IDE all day and paste was working fine until it suddenly wasn't.

And as I pointed out earlier, the tool icon shows there is something on the clipboard, and I can paste into WordPad or NotePad, but not Pelles C IDE.