NO

Author Topic: How do compile a project for a 64 bit windows 10 pc  (Read 3346 times)

bugbuster

How do compile a project for a 64 bit windows 10 pc
« on: November 29, 2015, 09:41:24 PM »
I used to have Pelles C running on my laptop just fine when I was running windows 8. I recently upgraded to windows 10.

This weekend I decided to get back into things and do some work with Pelles C. Several issues occurred. First I chose the project type as windows 64 console program since I just want to run the resulting executable from the "DOS" command line. After I built the project the executable was not in the same directory as the source as it used to be when I did work under windows 8. After  a recursive search of my hard drive I located the directory where the executable was created. How do I make sure that the executable is left in the same directory as the source code ?

When I tried to run the executable the program just hung !  I started the task manager so I could stop the program but it was not listed by the task manager.

How do I build a simple command line executable for a 64 bit windows 10 system and make sure that the resulting executable is left in the same directory as the source code ?

Thanks.

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
Re: How do compile a project for a 64 bit windows 10 pc
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 05:15:12 AM »
I just checked on my Windows 10 system (Windows 10/64bit-Build 1586, latest end-user and Windows Insider version) and on my setup, the executable file gets very well created in the project folder where the source is.
But for some strange reason, which I did not notice when I made earlier tests with Windows 10, Windows is keeping "multiple" locks on the executable, preventing it from being executed. This must be something new with the latest updates, something as simple as this was working in earlier version. My best guess at this point is that the Windows Defender AV is somehow blocking it...

EDIT: Well, kind of confirmed my suspicion, though it was not Windows Defender, but I forgot I had installed Avast on it and it worked fine after I temporarily disabled it. But Windows10 is still holding a lock on the file, so you can't overwrite it when you compile it a second time. That could still be a Windows Defender issue, but won't have enough time to test this out tonight anymore...

Ralf
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:23:41 AM by Bitbeisser »

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 08:37:56 AM »
Sometimes if program crash or interrupted in debugger, stay locked in Win10.
Have to restart poide :(
May the source be with you

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 02:28:21 AM »
Sometimes if program crash or interrupted in debugger, stay locked in Win10.
Have to restart poide :(
That was not the problem in my test cases. The file stayed locked, even with the IDE down. Unfortunately, Lock Hunter, which works a treat in an Windows version up to 8.1, won't work on Windows 10 in this case...

Ralf