General > Chit-Chat

Bored?

<< < (3/3)

TimoVJL:
If someone write portable C code, code is quite portable too.
Original example was for win32.
So i am bored to this topic.

TimoVJL:
Activity in this site is quite low, so i think that people don't want and don't care about of this site's future.
Luckily now it is easy to export PellesC project to Visual Studio on experiment level.
Visual Studio is unnecessarily big and slow, but commonly used.

If we can made experiments in poide and later move easily the project to VS is a big help. For example VS debugger is far better in threaded code, like with COM.

One weak feature in VS is a weak support for msvcrt.lib/msvcrt.dll for small programs for older Windows.
Something like a msvcrtXP.lib could be useful with it. Why include useless code if and when we don't need it.

Any comments?

ika:
I don't think I would use a program that converts a ppj into a Visual Studio project , but I would use a tool that does this the other way around. Lots of libraries in theory could work in Pelles C, but project files are only given for Visual Studio, and it is bothersome converting it myself.

bitcoin:

--- Quote from: TimoVJL on March 09, 2018, 03:54:59 PM ---One weak feature in VS is a weak support for msvcrt.lib/msvcrt.dll for small programs for older Windows.
Something like a msvcrtXP.lib could be useful with it. Why include useless code if and when we don't need it.

Any comments?

--- End quote ---
It is very difficult to create programs in the visual studio with a linking CRT. The studio for some reason inserts garbage there, which writes "there is no such file MSVCRT666.DLL" and requires the installation of a "redestributable package". You can either take MSVCRT.LIB from XP DDK or cut absolutely everything (nodefaultlib,no use this and that..). But - the studio does not know how to inline the code and you still need to put memset.c and memcpy.c into your project (because char a[20] = {0} is eq MEMSET). This is bad. I do not like the studio. When I learned about the Pelles C, I moved here.

TimoVJL:
check msvc intrinsic

EDIT: this was helpful for console program
--- Code: ---#pragma comment(lib, "msvcrtOS.lib")
#if _MSC_VER >= 17
# if defined(_WIN64)
#  pragma comment(linker,"/subsystem:console,5.2")
# else
#  pragma comment(linker,"/subsystem:console,5.1")
# endif
#endif
void __cdecl mainCRTStartup(void)
{
__declspec(dllimport) void __cdecl exit(int status);
int __cdecl main(void);
exit(main());
}

--- End code ---
msvcrtOS.lib is made from OS msvcrt.dll

Navigation

[0] Message Index