NO

Author Topic: Why does Pelles IDE have such a low profile on the web? /Introducing myself  (Read 18260 times)

Drewan

Hello,

From my point of view I ask the question above because it took a lot of seeking and searching on the web to find a mention and recommend for Pelles C.

There are numerous sites listing and recommending IDEs, big and small – and even on most of the ‘top 50’ type sites for IDEs there is no mention of Pelles C. I eventually found you here only because of an obscure mention in a comment by someone on a question about lightweight IDEs – so obscure that I can’t relocate it! I believe I found PC after I found out that Eclipse and similar are written in Java, and clunky and bug ridden by the fact of that; so I started looking for a lightweight IDE written in C. (The Wikipedia page covering IDEs for C/C++ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_integrated_development_environments#C/C++  has a '?' against 'Written in' for the language Pelles C is written in).

Perhaps it is not important that Pelles C is more known in the IDE field?

Anyway, I am glad I found  Pelles C to try, and I look forward to using it at the start of my journey with learning C programming.

[From 1985-87 I was a COBOL programmer for a multinational – but then moved into systems analysis, feasibility studies and quality assurance for project/feasibility studies  in IT. I only moved away from programming for the reason that the career route was limited for programmers in those days; the alternative I chose was a fast track to higher paid positions].

A part of me has always regretted the move from the thoroughness and detail to the more abstract overview of things. So in my retirement years I want to go back and learn about programming in a more thorough way].

Thank you for Pelles C, and for this forum.

aardvajk

I believe I found PC after I found out that Eclipse and similar are written in Java, and clunky and bug ridden by the fact of that; so I started looking for a lightweight IDE written in C. (The Wikipedia page covering IDEs for C/C++ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_integrated_development_environments#C/C++  has a '?' against 'Written in' for the language Pelles C is written in).
Look at the bug report section, Pelles C also has lots of active bugs. The difference between those IDEs and Pelles C though is that bugs in those are likely to be fixed. Pelle himself seems to have stopped caring about his creation. Not that he can really be blamed for such, lots of work for presumably minimal compensation would eventually lead even the most altruistic to think "Why bother?"

While it doesn't really matter what you use for learning since C is C regardless of IDE, the fact that there's only about two people on the web who care about this product any more isn't great for when you inevitably have some sort of problem, IDE or code.

Offline PaoloC13

I also think that Pelles C has a too low web profile, considering its good characteristics and it seems a waste for a great job. I like to write C code for Windows on a light and easy IDE, really I don't know best alternative to Pelles C.

Drewan

While it doesn't really matter what you use for learning since C is C regardless of IDE, the fact that there's only about two people on the web who care about this product any more isn't great for when you inevitably have some sort of problem, IDE or code.

aardvajk: I can see that if hardly anyone here cares (is caring for) Pelles C then why would the wider world care.

I also recognise the point you make about the bugs in Pelles C: it reflects un-professionalism in an application if these are not being addressed.

Both of the above do negate the great worth Pelles C has as a 'light and easy IDE' (as PaoloC13 put it) for C programming in Windows.

I have downloaded and installed Pelles C and will, when I start coding, explore it. In the meantime, for my starter requirements of something simple, I am also looking at greatly extendable code text editors like Atom and the like (all with C compiler and numerous other packages/plugins) after reading: https://www.codementor.io/mattgoldspink/best-text-editor-atom-sublime-vim-visual-studio-code-du10872i7
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 06:57:13 PM by Drewan »

Offline stecoop

When I found Pelles C over three years ago, I was ecstatic ;D: A free C compiler with an IDE that beat the pants off Visual C/C++ (Version 5, Professional).

I know there are some bugs in the IDE, easily ignorable, but I've encountered no problems with the generated code (of course, I'm not a 'power' programmer).

If Pelle has abandoned his creation, well, that's very sad :'(. I wonder if he is still alive. Anyway, I'm very happy with Pelles C and I hope it will be around for awhile (at least until I'm dead); I'm here today to see if there is a newer version than 8.00.60 (Win64)...it's not looking promising.
I was born the same month and year FORTRAN was "born".

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
Also i'm not a 'power' programmer.

In these days most users don't like too fast programs like poide, as Visual Studio gives vision of to doing actually something, a masculine thing?
Actually it just waste C-programmers time and resources with a .Net subsystem like MSBuild.
PC sellers are quite happy about this)

The poide have an Add-In interface to expand features, if someone really needs that.
May the source be with you

Offline Christian

• Administrator
    • http://www.pellesc.de
Hello aardvajk,

I am still in contact with Pelle and he tries to release a new version this year. Pelles C is not dead, just a bit in a snail pace.

Best regards
www.pellesc.de - German PellesC mirror (now available in german and english)

GypsyPrince

"I am still in contact with Pelle and he tries to release a new version this year. Pelles C is not dead, just a bit in a snail pace."

Christian, you have no idea how happy we as a community are to hear this!.!.!
Pelle's C rocks!

Offline ika

Hello aardvajk,

I am still in contact with Pelle and he tries to release a new version this year. Pelles C is not dead, just a bit in a snail pace.

Best regards

I am happy to hear this too. I have gotten a lot out of this IDE and its great to hear that he is still working on it.

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
Back to the original topic, I think there are a couple of reasons, at least, why Pelle's C has such a "low web profile"...

For one, very little people are actually looking for a plain C compiler, running only on (for most people) dreaded Windows. A lot of different programming languages are all the rave these days (in most cases not deserved, IMHO) and then plain C is often overlooked in lieu of/overshadowed by it's more fancier (distant) cousins, C++ and C#. And things certainly don't look any brighter when one considers that Micro$oft has a free version of their Visual Studio product, which simply becomes more exposure because it caters to those evil cousins...

And for those few that truly are interested in a clean C compiler, a lot of folks are these days put off that it isn't an Open Source project.

Ralf

Offline stecoop

Re: Why does Pelles IDE have such a low profile on the web? /Introducing myself
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 12:55:25 AM »
Hello aardvajk,

Best regards

That is great news; I just downloaded Version 9 and am anxious to take it for a spin.
I was born the same month and year FORTRAN was "born".

Offline bitcoin

Very few people know about this IDE. A friend recommendet it to me this summer, so I would never know above about this wonderful program.
It is necessary to popularize, write mini-articles on thematic resources. For example, there is such a major Russian-language resource Habr, and there is no article about Pelles C.

Sorry for the bad English, but I think you understand what I wanted to say.

ecoboy

Most manufacturers of paid integrated development environments have a staff of professional marketers. They are engaged in the above-mentioned promotion of their product. I think that the author does not have enough free time to hire them and advertise Better if teachers of universities and other educational institutions will use this program in their educational process (as in the example with UNIX OS).

Grincheux

That is our job, the users of this forum must speak about Pelle's Compilers. We are lucky to use such a free IDE and a good compiler and assembler, also free, we must speak of them all around us. That's what I do. But you are right it is not very known. Make pub onto your web site.

;) PELLE'S COMPILERS
ARE GENIAL
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 02:28:44 AM by Grincheux »

Offline Vortex

• http://www.vortex.masmcode.com
Many thanks to Pelle for his very nice work.
Code it... That's all...