NO

Author Topic: E-Mailing the registration verification  (Read 5677 times)

Offline John Z

E-Mailing the registration verification
« on: November 27, 2019, 06:01:48 PM »
Just an FYI - The system consistently failed to mail me, after several different attempts, the registration verification mail to my @sbcglobal.net address.  To get the registration verification I had to switch my username e-mail to use my @gmail.com address.  Some places I travel to block gmail ......

Regards,
John Z

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
Re: E-Mailing the registration verification
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2020, 09:54:53 PM »
Just an FYI - The system consistently failed to mail me, after several different attempts, the registration verification mail to my @sbcglobal.net address.  To get the registration verification I had to switch my username e-mail to use my @gmail.com address.  Some places I travel to block gmail ......

Regards,
John Z
Sorry John, but this is a self-inflicted issue.
SBC doesn't exist anymore since 2005, when they merged and became a part of AT&T. You simply can't expect that sbcglobal address to be valid for ever. In fact, AT&T seem to have started some time last year to slowly purge and phase out those @sbcglobal.net email addresses.
If you don't like GMail, at least switch to your AT&T email address...

Ralf

Offline John Z

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 12:01:14 PM »
Thanks Ralf!

It is currently working fine.  If you message me through this forum for example it uses my sbcglobal.net e-mail.  The defunct company SBCGLOBAL had always used Yahoo to provide e-mail to its customers, as does the 'new' AT&T so the transition was invisible.  It is now supported by web site currently.com.  I know, yahoo is old, old, old but hey at least I'm not on AOL  :)

I do use GMAIL, a lot, but it is not available world wide which presents a problem when traveling,

HaGD,
John

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 11:06:07 PM »
Thanks Ralf!

It is currently working fine.  If you message me through this forum for example it uses my sbcglobal.net e-mail.  The defunct company SBCGLOBAL had always used Yahoo to provide e-mail to its customers, as does the 'new' AT&T so the transition was invisible.  It is now supported by web site currently.com.  I know, yahoo is old, old, old but hey at least I'm not on AOL  :)

I do use GMAIL, a lot, but it is not available world wide which presents a problem when traveling,

HaGD,
John
The problem is that AT&T is no longer using Yahoo, ever since those folks are now part of their competition, Verizon...

I have several clients that against my better advice for years now still keep using sbcglobal.net email addresses, with an ever increasing number of random issues/inoperability with that service...

Ralf

Offline John Z

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 02:04:12 PM »
Thanks Ralf,

Unfortunately none of the other providers are actually much better.  There is not a single e-mail provider that will guarantee delivery (look at the recent GMAIL crash) or even that they will be here for you in a year. They do not even guarantee that your old e-mail will be accessible in the future.  Even paid-service providers don't all survive.  IMO there should be a national (government?) provider similar to the post office which you could depend on to always be there.

Big companies pushing people to 'go paperless' as being more secure is a hoax of course. It is done to save them money and put the onus on the client.  In the US the postal service may on occasion lose a letter, or a delivery may on occasion be stolen from your mailbox.  This inconveniences one person, at least one at a time, can't really be done on a large scale, even a rogue postal worker would affect less than 1000 people.  Compared to an e-mail provider where a single hack compromises millions, postal is the ultimate security.

Anyway, apologies for the rant.... I've got multiple e-mail providers...and always archive e-mails on my local computer.

Cheers,
John Z

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 08:07:51 PM »
Well, John. GMail's "crash" was the first issue that has ever effected me, and I have one of the earliest accounts with them, when you got one "by invitation only" through one of our clients back then. And I am using 7 different GMail accounts right now, with different purposes for each one. Given all the other email providers that are also used among all my clients (beside a few that still host their own email server, for various reasons), GMail has been the most reliable, ever...
Email in general is guaranteed to some level, as in cases a server is not reachable, a sending server will retry to deliver an email in increasing intervals, for up to 48 or 72 hours. The GMail (actually also affecting YouTube, Instagram and other Google services) incident was really unique in scope and randomness of the effected services. I "lost" probably about two dozen emails, mainly from a mailing list (coincidentally one that deals with system admin issues), as that server was not (properly) configured to resend (temporarily) undeliverable emails, both out of capacity reasons as well as an ill-fated attempt to prevent spewing spam. That were two dozen messages out of 200-300 I receive on a slow day (up to a thousand on days after an event like this), and all more important emails on those 7 accounts either made it randomly through or were resend after the Google issue was resolved (which took a bit longer to track down not only due to the randomness but also due to red herring error messages by the sending email servers)...

Ralf