NO

Author Topic: POIDE does not exit completely  (Read 11599 times)

Anonymous

POIDE does not exit completely
« on: February 10, 2005, 06:13:31 PM »
Hi Pelle,
I'm still having the problem with your IDE where sometimes it does not exit completely.  It closes all windows, removes itself from the applications list in task manager, but it is still listed in the process list and it's still taking up CPU time (about 10% in bursts every few seconds).

About 2 of 5 times I exit the IDE I have to use "end process" to get it to fully unload itself.  And if I don't, my system won't shut down or takes a very long time (in hours) to shut itself down.

I am still unable to peg down the condition that causes this.

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 07:14:27 PM »
Hello,

Unless you give me more information about what you did in the sessions that didn't terminate fully, it's virtually impossible to do anything about this. I need to narrow it down.

Pelle
/Pelle

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 09:09:25 PM »
Quote from: "Pelle"
Hello,

Unless you give me more information about what you did in the sessions that didn't terminate fully, it's virtually impossible to do anything about this. I need to narrow it down.

Pelle

I know what you mean... I've been trying to figure it out since the last time I mentioned it to you.  Problem is I can't seem to find any pattern to it.  The only thing I can figure is that something isn't unloading.

What I do is the usual... write code, compile code, test run code...  I do my resources externally, and far as I can tell it makes no difference which mode I'm compiling in... gui or console, making a library, an exe or a dll, same thing.

Whatever it is, it's somplace bettween when I click the X on the window frame it ask about saving files, close all windows, actually save the files but someplace between that and exiting completely it's getting lost...  Same if I use File-Exit from the menu.

At one point yesterday I had 3 copies of it sitting there.  I had to "end process" each one separately.

nitex

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 11:19:22 PM »
I have the same problem, but i'm unable to reproduce this behavior too.

Alex

Anonymous

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 11:47:27 PM »
Quote from: "nitex"
I have the same problem, but i'm unable to reproduce this behavior too.
Alex

Whew  ](*,)  I was starting to think it was me or my system...

I frequenly work with 2 or more copies of the IDE open on different projects (eg. one for a DLL and the other for the EXE).  It seems to do this more often when I have more than one copy open.

Other than that I can't find any noticeable pattern....

nitex

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 03:47:41 PM »
I usually use one open IDE but i restart it very often, so this should not be a problem. Most time i've had this problem was after debugging some program.

Alex

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 04:09:45 PM »
Quote from: "nitex"
I usually use one open IDE but i restart it very often, so this should not be a problem. Most time i've had this problem was after debugging some program.
Alex

That could be part of it... but I don't do a lot with the internal debugger and it has done it when I haven't been debugging.  I wonder if it's somehow related to the add-in system, perhaps some hook or dll not releasing the IDE to close completely...

Whatever it is, it's between the time the IDE closes it's windows and the time it unloads completely from memory.   It removes itself from the Applications list in Task Manager every time, but it doesn't always remove itself from the Processes list.  As I understand it the only way that can happen is after all windows are closed.

So, I'm guessing the problem is someplace in the shutdown procedures.

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 05:41:12 PM »
Quote from: "ldblake"
I wonder if it's somehow related to the add-in system, perhaps some hook or dll not releasing the IDE to close completely...

Does this mean it's working if you don't use any add-ins?

So, I'm guessing the problem is someplace in the shutdown procedures.

This is obvious. The problem is that "shutting down" isn't a few lines of code. It could be an event triggering some other event, that is triggering an event that is... Or it could be a thread dead-lock, or it could be...

The better report I can get, the easier it will be to find. As long as I can't reproduce the problem, I'm just fumbling around here...

Pelle
/Pelle

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 11:42:27 PM »
I wonder if it's somehow related to the add-in system, perhaps some hook or dll not releasing the IDE to close completely...

Does this mean it's working if you don't use any add-ins?

Hmmm... well, it always works... the problem seems to be that it doesn't want to stop working  :lol:   I can't say absolutely, but it does seem to stay in the task list more often with addins enabled.  

This is obvious. The problem is that "shutting down" isn't a few lines of code. It could be an event triggering some other event, that is triggering an event that is... Or it could be a thread dead-lock, or it could be...

The better report I can get, the easier it will be to find. As long as I can't reproduce the problem, I'm just fumbling around here...
Pelle

Pelle, believe me, if I could give you a better report, I would.  From what I can tell, it almost seems a random occurance.   I've tried almost every combinations of settings and add-ins I can think of, there just doesn't seem to be a noticeable pattern...  I will keep at it...

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2005, 12:00:08 AM »
Pelle, believe me, if I could give you a better report, I would.  From what I can tell, it almost seems a random occurance.   I've tried almost every combinations of settings and add-ins I can think of, there just doesn't seem to be a noticeable pattern...  I will keep at it...

Yes, I understand. When it is stuck, do you see any CPU usage? (There is a INFINITE wait loop at the very end - if it's waiting here, the CPU usage should be low - if not, it's probably hung somewhere else...)

Pelle
/Pelle

Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2005, 07:27:57 AM »
Yes, I understand. When it is stuck, do you see any CPU usage? (There is a INFINITE wait loop at the very end - if it's waiting here, the CPU usage should be low - if not, it's probably hung somewhere else...)

Nope, No CPU usage.   TaskMan shows 0 for POIDE and CoolBeans shows only background activity.

If there's a wait loop in the exit process, it seems likely that's where it's getting stuck... It could be a timing problem.  Whatever it's waiting for has either come and gone beforehand or it's not coming at all.  Maybe putting a timeout on that wait would solve the problem??

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2005, 01:05:21 PM »

If there's a wait loop in the exit process, it seems likely that's where it's getting stuck... It could be a timing problem.  Whatever it's waiting for has either come and gone beforehand or it's not coming at all.  Maybe putting a timeout on that wait would solve the problem??

Yep. Would be nice to know why. The code seems simple enough. Will do some changes here, and hopefully the problem will go away...

Pelle
/Pelle

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2005, 01:58:50 PM »

The code seems simple enough.

Y'know, it's usually the simple stuff that gives me the most trouble.  :wink:

Will do some changes here, and hopefully the problem will go away...
Pelle

Thanks.

Anonymous

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2005, 08:56:50 AM »

Yep. Would be nice to know why. The code seems simple enough. Will do some changes here, and hopefully the problem will go away...
Pelle

Hi Pelle,
Still got the problem.  All windows close but POIDE is still listed on the Task Manager processes list.  

However, I think we're one step closer...  It seems to do it when there's a secondary window open... a running program, a help file, etc.  The Platform SDK seems to cause it the most often.

Hope this helps.

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 04:12:24 PM »
It seems to do it when there's a secondary window open... a running program, a help file, etc.  The Platform SDK seems to cause it the most often.

What type of running program? A "tool"? Configured how?
What type of help file? *.hlp? *.chm?
Which version of the Platform SDK?
Which version of Windows?

Still no idea where to look...

Pelle
/Pelle