NO

Author Topic: Clip I read on Windows 8 and one Company's apps  (Read 6697 times)

EdPellesC99

Clip I read on Windows 8 and one Company's apps
« on: September 28, 2012, 10:08:59 PM »
Here is a clip from a Company called Just Great software.
They are commenting on how their software will run on Windows 8.
Windows 8 is scheduled to become available to the general public on October 26th. As developers we have early access to the final release of Windows 8, so we can update our products in time for the release.

Actually, there is not much to update. Microsoft has intended Windows 8 to be able to run on the same hardware as Windows 7 and be able to run all the same software as Windows 7. This plan certainly seems to work for our products. The latest versions of our products are all fully compatible with Windows 7,and so far our tests indicate they run perfectly well as desktop applications on Windows 8. Our biggest job will be to update our web sites and documentation to state our official support for Windows 8. So if you plan to upgrade your current PC to Windows 8, or plan to buy a new desktop or laptop with Windows 8, you can continue using our software as you did on Windows 7. The only Just Great Software product that really needed to be updated for Windows 8 is DeployMaster. We did that last week, with DeployMaster 4.1.0, announced in the next article.

Microsoft's focus for Windows 8 is on tablets. These will come in two variants. One group of Windows 8 tablets run on an Intel or AMD processor, just like Windows desktops and laptops. Our software will run just fine on those. The other group of Windows 8 tablets will run on an ARM processor and come with a special version of Windows 8 called Windows RT. Our software will not work on those tablets. Windows RT will not run any of today's Windows applications, unless the developers of those applications create new versions of those applications that support the ARM processor and the Windows 8 user interface formerly known as Metro. Developing a Metro application means redeveloping the user interface from the ground up. We have no plans to that for any of our applications in the near term. In the long term, we'll keep an eye on how the Windows RT market grows and the development tools available to us.

Thought it was informative.
....Ed

CommonTater

Re: Clip I read on Windows 8 and one Company's apps
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 12:11:30 PM »
Hi Ed...

I'd say that's somewhat reassuring. 

I wonder if the metro interface will be defeatable in the final release...  I've talked to a few of my clients about the big changes and not one of them likes the sliding tiles... especially the ones using home theatre systems where most operations are conducted either by infra red remote controls or special remote control software I've written for the task. 

In general I'm hearing that people really hate the "metro" interface and are also not terribly pleased with the 40gb installation size.  The consensus, especially amongst the home theatre crowd, is that XP remains the operating system of choice.  Of course this is largely because of XP's rock solid multimedia performance.  (FWIW... there is a difference in audio and video between Vista/7 and XP that is obvious enough to convince most HTPC users to stay with XP.)

November is going to be interresting...

About 3 weeks after Vista came out I started getting people asking me to "get this crap out of my brand new computer" as the constant nagging from the UAC took their patience beyond it's limits.  For quite some time I was earning a fair bit of money pulling out Vista and installing XP... I wonder if that's about to happen again... Win8 out, Win 7 in...

shazam

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 08:18:05 PM »
Maybe MS needs to realize we are past the days of "This is Microsoft and this is how it will be"
Remember the outcry of Vista and MS having to extend support for XP

Look at the outcry from no native express version of Visual Studio 12...low and behold MS released a version  ;)
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-express-for-windows-desktop

I hope they do make a way for desktop users(desktop, laptop) to disable that Metro and let us use a native looking GUI

8)

EdPellesC99

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 10:14:43 PM »
Hi Tater,
I think a lot hinges on whether the laptop will largely be replaced by the tablet for the majority of users.
In the meantime maybe Microsoft will keep their ears unplugged, and listen some to those huge numbers iof us in the peanut gallery.

Ever use mplayerc.exe by Gabest?

I had some fun programming in C with this player, so portable @ 4 Mb, and I use it to play DVDs too in XP.
I also used it in html applications (the .hta file), but you are so dependant on having to have the right version of IE installed.

Regards,
Ed
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 10:16:23 PM by EdPellesC99 »

CommonTater

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 10:30:47 PM »
I think a lot hinges on whether the laptop will largely be replaced by the tablet for the majority of users.

That might happen for school and mobile uses.. but the desktop workstation is a long ways from done.  Just about the last thing I'd want to do is run busines apps on a tablet... the thing would be out the window in about 10 minutes.

Ever use mplayerc.exe by Gabest?

Yes, extensively.  In fact it's younger brother, Media Player Classic Home Cinema, is my media player of choice when building HTPCs and home theatres.

CommonTater

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 10:35:31 PM »
Maybe MS needs to realize we are past the days of "This is Microsoft and this is how it will be"
Remember the outcry of Vista and MS having to extend support for XP

They had the same problem with WIN ME ... people just hated it.  But that was justified, just about everything in it was either a bug or an undocumentable feature... Wanna reboot your computer 237 times a day... Win ME is your tool of choice.

I think Win8 is going to be a complete boondoggle and I do agree with you that most of us are pretty fed up with being told what we want and then being treated like we're idiots after we buy it.

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2012, 01:21:19 AM »
Look at the outcry from no native express version of Visual Studio 12...low and behold MS released a version  ;)
http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/eng/products/visual-studio-express-for-windows-desktop
As looking that , beware what happens if you developed something for Metro.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:56:08 AM by timovjl »
May the source be with you

shazam

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2012, 01:24:11 AM »
Ummm...
ok...LOL  ;D

EdPellesC99

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 05:06:14 PM »
Timo,

Looks like Metro implies "MetroSexual",

Slogan should be "Man up for a Sex Change Operation" to facilitate programming skills !  :-\

Nobody said programming is easy, but Yikes !

'Coarse latest research says Unics live 14 years longer.........