NO

Author Topic: Happy New Year  (Read 4604 times)

Grincheux

Happy New Year
« on: January 01, 2021, 10:40:37 AM »
Happy New Year to everybody, blacks, yellow, Red, White, catholics, Musulmans,...
I wish that C19 goes out and let us leaving in peace.

For this year, my last wotking year, i will test radio. Air band and do and I will try to make software with it, it does not seem to be easy.
This what I bought :

Offline frankie

• Global Moderator
Re: Happy New Year
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 01:05:09 PM »
Happy new year to everybody!
Wishing it will be better than the last (and shouldn't be a big effort...).
Grincheux I am very envious about your retirement  ;D, because I still have many years of work, but I'm very happy for you and wish you all the best.  ;)
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. - Andre Gide

Offline John Z

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 02:02:45 PM »
Happy New Year to everybody,...
I wish that C19 goes out and let us leaving in peace.

For this year, my last wotking year, i will test radio. Air band and do and I will try to make software with it, it does not seem to be easy.
This what I bought :

Happy New Year to you, and everyone else.

Your new project looks interesting.  Did you buy a pair or a single, and what is your re-programing going to do?
I found them on Amazon.

Is retirement mandatory or voluntary ? Some countries/companies have mandatory retirement age.  However,  pros in software never really retire,  they just start to work on things they are more interested in  :) and work harder but leisurely.

John Z

Grincheux

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 03:00:05 PM »
Thank You JohnZ & Frankie.

I stop working because I will be 62 on 2021/12/24. It is possible for me to stop, and with heallth problems I have, I think it is a good idea. 8)

Offline John Z

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 04:50:18 PM »
 :) planning a 2021 Christmas present to yourself!  :)

More time to spend on the forum then....

Cheers,

John Z

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2021, 08:11:18 PM »
A bit belated Happy New Year, everyone!

2021 isn't starting that great here in the US of A with yesterday's terrorist attack, and specially around here, we will still be dealing for a while with those COVID-19 issues. But let's hope for the bright light at the end of this dark tunnel...  ;)

Ralf

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 08:16:21 PM »
This what I bought :
You are in France, aren't you? What kind of license do you need over there?

I am involved with various radio services over here as means for communications here in the canyon in case of larger emergencies (we had a major wildfire 3 years ago all around us, and a major earthquake always looms at the horizon) but it is a drag with either the technical limitations or the partially incompatible licensing through the FCC.
Also Baofengs have a had reputation here in the USA, though you can buy some of those models (with some shady FCC registration) dirt cheap...

Ralf

Grincheux

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 04:55:20 PM »
In France we have to get the licence for a 10 Watts max. Radio-Amateur. I just want to be a SWL.
With this receiver I am outlaw, I can't have a 8 Watts receiver.

I have received it today and for the instant it is charging the Battery...
I also received a HDR_SDR USB key. The drivers are installed, I can't get any voice.
RTL2832U+R820T2 100KHz-1.7GHz UHF VHF HF RTL.SDR USB Tuner Receiver AM FM Radio
No Drivers nor any doc... <<<<<perhaps one day I will receive someone!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33017415436.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.5a204c4dFM5eop

Grincheux

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 05:02:10 PM »
For Bitbeisser

You forgot TRUMP !
It is the same in France except that our President tells one thing one day and the next day he does not say the same!
It is difficult to know what to do.
I don't know how we work this year, I don't know how we will pay the taxes too, because I have my own shop.

I hope the year will not be too hard for every one.

Philippe

Offline algernon_77

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 09:43:59 AM »
Hello Philippe and Happy New Year!

Radio is a great way to have a busy retirement :)

To use your SDR module, I suggest starting here:
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-quick-start-guide/

For your Baofeng, there's a very nice open source software to program it, it's called Chirp, you may study it if you're interested:
https://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Home

France has a very strong ham (amateur radio) community, so I suggest to try and contact the nearest radioclub, even if you're interested only in SWL. And anyway, the exam for the novice class is not hard, so I'm sure you can pass it after a bit of study.

Good luck!

Adrian
YO3GFH

Grincheux

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 11:55:23 AM »
Algermon_77

I have downloaded CHIRP and the guide helped me for the dongle, but the problem was with ExtIO.dll, it was hard to find the one for RTL2832. Now I hear voices rather than noise but the software are not very easy to use.

In France there is only one licence for every body. If I don't wantto stayoutlaw I must have it!

I would like to use the Baofeng and the dongle with a program that I will write. So I have installed HamLib 4.0
Now  I must read the doc but there are not many examples.

Have a good year and thak you for the help.

Philippe