NO

Author Topic: Is anywere better IDE for C and asm than ?  (Read 9697 times)

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
Is anywere better IDE for C and asm than ?
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:22:28 PM »
Question for all in this forum:
Is anywere better IDE than poide for C and asm ?

May the source be with you

CommonTater

Re: Is anywere better IDE for C and asm than ?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:28:04 PM »
No there isn't. 
And, yes I've looked repeatedly over the years. 
Even the non-free ones don't measure up.

(And, no, I'm not just kissing up... :D )

« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:31:26 PM by CommonTater »

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:38:32 PM »
linux users must be jealous for us  ;)
But, they can use it with wine (i don't mean alcohol).
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 10:43:46 PM by timovjl »
May the source be with you

migf1

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 06:34:57 PM »
Actually this is just a matter of personal preference, and there is a huge variety of IDEs out there. Especially for C/C++.

Personally I'm coding any language in Notepad++ which I've enhanced with 5-6 addons that convert it to an almost full blown IDE. One of those add-ons makes it possible (via own simple scripts) to build & run the executable from within Notepad++, using each language's command line tools (Pelles C included of course).

This screenshot demonstrates my typical programming environment (in any language):
http://x-karagiannis.gr/prog/libs/images/npp_ss4.png

It's more than adequate for most of my needs, but occasionally I have to temporary switch to a more dedicated IDE if the project dictates to. For example, to graphically build a resource script (I do so via Pelles C IDE). Or to or to graphically debug the code (again via Pelles C IDE, but only for Win32 specific projects... otherwise I use gdb).

As usual, there pros & cons in the above approach.

The major pro is the unified & extremely light interface regardless of language.

The major con is that one has to be pretty familiar with the tool-chain of the language he's working with, since he needs to set it up for the command line in order to use it from inside Notepad++ (but that's really a mid/long term pro I think :) )

CommonTater

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 06:58:26 PM »
Hi again Migf1....

I'm just the opposite to you on this one... When first mgrating over from Pascal to Pelles I did try integrating a Pascal compiler (the one used with Delphi) into Pelles C and did get it to work.  But I rapidly found out just how bloody confusing that can be.  I would end up typing pascal code into a C source file, or visa versa... not good :D

So, after about 30 times having to fix my own confusion, I deliberately used a Pascal IDE that was very different from POIDE.

I've tried Notepad++ and found it lacking... nice editor, terrible IDE...  Same problems with TextPad and a few others.  All perfectly good and serviceable editors... but obviously not built with programming in mind.

So called IDEs such as Code::Blocks, NetBeans and Eclipse all seemed to be missing crucial functions such as resource editors.  Some were so complex that it was impossible to set them up without making mistakes...

So, everytime out... I end up right back on POIDE. 

If you want to experiment, you can try the VC++ AddIn for POIDE... It's not perfect integration but on the rare occasion I use C++ (hate it... just simply hate it!) it's always served my needs.

migf1

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 07:43:31 PM »
Hello,

No worries about being on the opposite side, that's quite common and a healthy situation in a forum. I insist though that it all depends on the project needs and/or personal perspective. :)

For example, I'm quite comfortable in coding, compiling & running GTK+ apps on Windows using the above mentioned setup, along with the stand-alone Glade app (the Resource Editor equivallent for GTK+). I can equally comfortably code, compile & run Win32 apps from within Notepad++, using Pelles C IDE as if it was just a stand alone Resource Editor (btw ResEdit is a nice alternative ) or with a bit more effort as if it was just a standalone debugger.

I can even have gnu-make makefiles using the Pelles C compiler for building the executable, ifI choose so,  or use pomake directly from within Notepad++. Quite often I cross-test my code with both migw32 and pelles-c, just to make sure it's portable, from within Notepad++.

You see, for me the real power is the command-line tool-chain, which is the only one providing unlimited freedom on doing things in about a million :P different ways, depending on one's (constantly) changing needs :)

In general I like freedom. I want things be done my way, or at least being able to know that I can do things my way if and when I choose so. Moreover, I don't like bloating my working environment with things I do not need or rarely use. I also hate to have to learn a new IDE just because I need to work with another language, or I need to write code that runs on more than one platforms. I am a weird guy, I know :P But that's why I've ended with the setup I've mentioned above.

It stays essentially the same whether I'm coding in C, in Java, in Pascal, in PHP, in Python, or whatever other language.

PS. Btw, imho, trying to integrate a Pascal compiler into a C dedicated IDE was doomed to fail. Trying to integrate it into a generic IDE would be a much more promising approach I think.

If you want to experiment, you can try the VC++ AddIn for POIDE... It's not perfect integration but on the rare occasion I use C++ (hate it... just simply hate it!) it's always served my needs.

Thanks for suggesting it. However I love VSwhatever as much as Jesus loves the devil :lol:

Offline Vortex

• http://www.vortex.masmcode.com
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 07:57:09 PM »
Hi timovjl,

If you have the Masm32 package, check qeditor. It's a nice editor targetting assembly projects :

Code: [Select]
\masm32\qeditor.exe
Code it... That's all...

CommonTater

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:29:52 PM »
PS. Btw, imho, trying to integrate a Pascal compiler into a C dedicated IDE was doomed to fail. Trying to integrate it into a generic IDE would be a much more promising approach I think.

Actually I did get it working... way back in 2006, I believe... but as I say, it was too confusing... so I went with separate IDEs and different colours for the highlighting... ;) at least it stopped me from cross entering code.

These days I'm pure C all the way... I don't even want to guess how often I've dipped into C++ only to get totally frustrated and wipe it off my hard disk.  I've studied the books, read the tutorials, you name it... I just plain do not like C++ ... The whole idea of object oriented programming in a message queue driven environment just doesn't make sense. 

Anyway... since I'm now a "one trick pony", POIDE is my best choice...

It sounds like you've devolped a setup that is "you specific" which is great.  So long as you're able to do what you need to do, there's not a single thing wrong with it. 

migf1

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 08:57:28 PM »
These days I'm pure C all the way... I don't even want to guess how often I've dipped into C++ only to get totally frustrated and wipe it off my hard disk.  I've studied the books, read the tutorials, you name it... I just plain do not like C++ ... The whole idea of object oriented programming in a message queue driven environment just doesn't make sense. 

Tell me about it! I feel exactly the same way!

To be fair though, there's a ton of things done way faster and much more easy in C++ (STL alone is a perfect example here).

However, I also never succeeded in... liking C++... and only God knows how hard I've tried too!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:05:43 PM by migf1 »

CLR

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 07:14:32 AM »
No there isn't. 
And, yes I've looked repeatedly over the years. 
Even the non-free ones don't measure up.

(And, no, I'm not just kissing up... :D )

Yeah. Pelles C is the one!
After many attempts with other dev environments, I've learned to program in C with Pelles C, that's why I like this program.

JohnF

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 04:53:01 PM »
Question for all in this forum:
Is anywere better IDE than poide for C and asm ?

Not that I've seen. It's been great to part of the PellesC community and watch PellesC develop over the years. The IDE is a joy to use.

EDIT: And the rest the the PellesC package is not bad either.

Thanks Pelle.

John
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 04:55:06 PM by JohnF »

Offline Pelle

• Administrator
    • http://www.smorgasbordet.com
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 01:31:39 PM »
Thanks, John.

Well, Pelles C IDE tries to include pretty much everything (like any IDE), which often means it will never be super-fantastic at anything. Putting together tools that are more specialized at a single task will usually mean better tools, but you will have to spend more time finding them (and making them work together).

I mean, a standalone text editor can concentrate on being a very good text editor, a standalone debugger can concentrate on that, etc.
If you put all this together in a single IDE, there will be many tradeoffs... (good enough, but no better etc.)
/Pelle

CommonTater

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »
Personally I'm coding any language in Notepad++ which I've enhanced with 5-6 addons that convert it to an almost full blown IDE.

Hi migf1 ...

I do hope you don't mind if we revist this older thread for a moment...

Would it be possible for you to list your setup... Notepad++ plus... addons? + tools...

I am familiar enough with compiler toolchains that they don't scare me and having given this some thought, I would like to give your option a try...