NO

Author Topic: windows 8.1  (Read 9560 times)

bobd

windows 8.1
« on: January 26, 2014, 10:40:01 PM »
I have a new computer and have gone  from windows xp to windows 8.1.  Pelles c ran fine under xp. I cannot now download Pelles c.  I get a corrupt certificate error on the setup.exe.  Can any tell me how to get around this?  By the way, will Pelles c run under 8.1?  Thank you in advance for any help.

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
Re: windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 11:22:27 AM »
I have a new computer and have gone  from windows xp to windows 8.1.  Pelles c ran fine under xp. I cannot now download Pelles c.  I get a corrupt certificate error on the setup.exe.  Can any tell me how to get around this?  By the way, will Pelles c run under 8.1?  Thank you in advance for any help.
You can try to copy that PellesC folder from that WinXP and run that version in Windows 8.1.
It run in Windows 8 in my tests.
May the source be with you

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2014, 08:27:58 PM »
I think a that running Pelle's C on Windows 8.1 might hit the same obstacles than running in Windows 7, you need to have proper rights in the projects and the install folder...

Ralf

bobd

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 06:48:24 PM »
Thanks to both responders.  I appreciate you taking the time to help.  I'm sure I can move the project files from xp to 8.1 but I am hesitant to try just  moving over the program files because they won't be properly installed into 8.1.  Still trying...thank you.

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2014, 12:57:35 AM »
Thanks to both responders.  I appreciate you taking the time to help.  I'm sure I can move the project files from xp to 8.1 but I am hesitant to try just  moving over the program files because they won't be properly installed into 8.1.  Still trying...thank you.
What do you mean by "..just moving over the program files because they won't be properly installed into 8.1..."?  :-\

Ralf

bobd

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 03:30:30 PM »
I think the other responder was suggesting that I copy the pelles folder under Programs on the xp machine and just put it in the Programs folder on the windows 8.1 machine.  I do not understand how this would work because the pelles program has not been 'installed' on this machine.  To me, a non-guru, I think 'install' means integrating the program into windows 8.1.  If I am wrong, I would be glad to hear a proper explanation.  Thank you for responding.

Offline jj2007

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2014, 05:20:10 PM »
'install' means integrating the program into windows 8.1

Can't speak for Windows 8.1, but on other Windows versions you basically have

1. programs that 'install' themselves by writing loads of information into the registry (and for this category, just copying over is not enough because that registry information might be necessary...)
2. programs that run without modifying the registry - and most of the stuff you will build and run falls under that category.

Pelles C is category 2, although it might write some paths into the registry.

Offline TimoVJL

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2014, 05:46:03 PM »
With command line option -xml poide writes settings to xml-file.

EDIT:
If setup64.exe is renamed something like POCInst64.exe and with Compability mode 7, is it possible to install it other folder than Program Files in Win 8.1 ?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 07:32:28 PM by timovjl »
May the source be with you

bobd

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2014, 06:18:44 PM »
Thanks again...the explanation of category1 and category 2 programs really helps.  I am still trying to get the 64 bit version downloaded, but if unsuccessful, I will try moving the file folder from the xp machine.

Offline Stefan Pendl

• Global Moderator
    • Homepage
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2014, 11:49:06 PM »
The installer contains a self-signed certificate, which is blocked by IE.

Download with Firefox or any other browser than IE to solve this problem.

On the other hand, you can download on the XP machine onto a thumb drive and install on the Win8.1 machine from that thumb drive too.

Another way is to install on XP to the thumb drive and use PellesC as the portable version on any machine using the -xml of the POIDE.exe command line switches.

For further information about the portable version see the help file.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 10:20:09 AM by Stefan Pendl »
---
Stefan

Proud member of the UltraDefrag Development Team

bobd

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 01:26:19 AM »
Problem solved.  Down load and save setup64.exe locally and run from your computer.  Successfully downloaded pelles c.  Thanks to all who took the time to share their knowledge.

Persay

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 06:00:23 PM »
i recently got black screen problem while login to 8.1 is this me or others have the same problem like me ?

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 04:31:01 AM »
i recently got black screen problem while login to 8.1 is this me or others have the same problem like me ?
How is that related to Pelle's C??? :-\

Btw, FITW, after my old Acer laptop died last week, I had to get a new one, so now I am running on a shiny Toshiba i3 with Windows 8.1 64bit (on 6GB of RAM), without any problems as far as Pelle's C is concerned, what so ever... 8)

Ralf

GypsyPrince

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2014, 05:05:48 PM »
For anyone installing Pelles C onto the x64 version of Windows 8.1, make sure to first right-click the installation program and run it as administrator. Windows 8.1 really clamps down on security and some folders, files, or settings might not get properly written to your hard drive if you do not install as administrator. I learned this the hard way...

Offline Bitbeisser

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2014, 10:48:42 PM »
For anyone installing Pelles C onto the x64 version of Windows 8.1, make sure to first right-click the installation program and run it as administrator. Windows 8.1 really clamps down on security and some folders, files, or settings might not get properly written to your hard drive if you do not install as administrator. I learned this the hard way...
This is an issue that exists ever since Windows Vista came out 7 years ago, nothing new or special in regards to Windows 8(.1) here...

Ralf